Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
The n900 is quite a beast, life-changing even. I've been waiting for a device this awesome for quite some time.

Any other old Zaurus users here?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
I've got an SL-5500 in a cupboard around here somewhere. So far I'm mostly enjoying the elbow room of having more than 16Mb of flash.

I am, however, somewhat concerned about future support from Nokia for hardware drivers - the SL-5500 stagnated due to a single proprietary kernel module (for the SD card slot) that never got rebuilt for anything later than 2.4.18. I don't want the same thing to happen here.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
SL-C860 user here. I've been waiting a long time for something that could replace it... Just wish the N900 had a slightly bigger screen.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
SL-C860 user here. I've been waiting a long time for something that could replace it... Just wish the N900 had a slightly bigger screen.
Yeah, I could go for a bigger screen/battery to, I really liked the size and metal casing of the n810.

But there is a case to be made for small and portable to, and it's a pretty sleek device, for how powerful it is.

Originally Posted by ewan View Post
I am, however, somewhat concerned about future support from Nokia for hardware drivers - the SL-5500 stagnated due to a single proprietary kernel module (for the SD card slot) that never got rebuilt for anything later than 2.4.18. I don't want the same thing to happen here.
This concerns me as well. In my interactions with Nokia, I have become convinced that they actually *get it* (as well as any big corporation that is) in terms of how keeping things non-fragmented is beneficial to everyone. The SD driver was a big issue, but even on the stock rom, the device never seemed to get much love or attention from Sharp themselves. I don't think this will be the problem here.

But hardware drivers are an issue, it's ultimately up to the component manufacturer, or up to Nokia deciding to use a different manufacturer who will open their drivers/specs (if any) on a case by case basis.

I'm not sure what the current operating procedure here is, but I'd very much like to see Nokia nudge component manufacturers into more open practices as well.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Winnpeg, MB, CAN
Former C1000 owner and founder of tyrannozaurus.com
Currently I am enjoy my 810, but am looking forward to the n900

http://www.tyrannozaurus.com

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
I also started my PDA-usage with the SL5500. After that I used C1000 -> N800 -> N810 -> N900. But I'm a maemo user for quite some time now.
I have sold all my old Zaurii, but my Homepage still has the zaurus section and even my old Zaurus feed from that days.
And I have to agree, The N900 is the first device that gets me this "Wow, thats some great new stuff" feeling that the Zaurus (especially the C1000) gave me back in the day.

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

Last edited by seiichiro0185; 2009-12-09 at 05:24.

Originally Posted by seiichiro0185 View Post
I also started my PDA-usage with the SL5500. After that I used C1000 -> N800 -> N810 -> N900. But I'm a maemo user for quite some time now.
I actually started with a Handspring Visor Prism, before moving to the SL5500.

I haven't owned one myself, but spent a lot of time on the 770, 800, 810 at my previous employer.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
I still have my SL-5500. In fact, I'm temporarily usimg its case to carry my N900 in because it zippers shut. Also had a non-Linux ZR-5800 w/ modem back in the day. I loved the 5500. Used it as recently as a few months ago quite regularly. They were totally ahead of their time.

Originally Posted by ewan View Post
the SL-5500 stagnated due to a single proprietary kernel module (for the SD card slot) that never got rebuilt for anything later than 2.4.18.
OpenEmbedded related Zaurus hackers have 2.6 working on SL-5500 with SD/MMC working. mmc-spi driver handle it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hrw For This Useful Post: