Active Topics

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to linux, but I've picked up some bits.

I'm wanting to use apt-get to install lists of applications as opposed to doing it VERY slowly with App Manager. I can install, and remove happily, but I'm having an issue with the names of packages.

As an example.... what apt-get command would I use to install "Merge your duplicate contacts" since you can't have spaces between the words.

So far I'm limited to one-word applications (e.g Hermes).

Is there a method to find the name of the package? or some trick I don't know about?

Thanks

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Argentina
U can use "apt-cache search" to find a specific package by it's name or by it's description (in this case the package name is contacts-merger).

First update the catalogs using:
apt-get update

Then use apt-cache to view the available packages. Note that you will see alot more packages that the ones being shown in the app manager. To ease the search of a certain package you can use:

apt-cache search <keyword> |less
this command will use the pager less to show the output of apt-cache search i.e. you will be allowed to browse it and search.

You can try the faster app manager it has nice features such as selecting multiple applications and installing them.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
why not install the 'faster aplication manager' basically it uses apt-get but with GUI

if you don't want to install from default app manager just type
apt-get install fapman