Active Topics

I just found this... dunno what you guys think about it.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...a-ota-updates/

Edit: from the blog:

* With iOS 4, AT&T locks all US iPhone owners to their network via regular OTA updates.
* AT&T shipped some iPhone 4 early to verify their OTA update system.
* Apple stealing user information via FaceTime, which lacks encryption.
* Some Apple employees who are aware of this situation are not updating to iOS 4.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-06-28 at 22:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I do hate Apple, but I really hope this is not true!

The Following User Says Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Hmm, Why I'm not surprised... by this news and the fact that as hard you going to hit apple funboys as hard opposite response you get.

The Following User Says Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Read the updates... some of that, if not a lot of that has been rendered inaccurate. The carrier updates, even now have yet to come over the air (OTA) and have, since 2.x been via the iTunes app.

The likelihood of all data being stored is unlikely; however I do believe that usage, time and a few other diagnostics, on top of the normal (and never quite explained ) data that's now being collected now included FaceTime.

But I will say this. What they do gather, doesn't offend me, but I'm watching them. I suggest that others to. And their recent changes to the iTunes store policy are starting to get the attention of the US Government... so this kind of stuff needs to be brought to their attention to, imho.

But hey... let's see what happens. I'm just giving an odd opinion out of many that could exist. Thanks for posting this.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I am waiting for more solid as well before deciding (I was about to get an iPhone for my mother to stay in touch with my sister that lives overseas); but some of the things are "legal" in the sense that customers agreed to them in the iTunes/iOS agreement. That doesn't make them automatically right, though.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Why would you get an iPhone? If you only want the iPhone for video conferencing, you're better off buying laptop or an N95 (which can call over wi-fi and 3G) and is cheaper. Of course the iPhone is better at other things, but video calling..not so much. Get a netbook for video calling. A phone doesn't come close to a netbook in those regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If I'm not mistaken, in their ToS Apple mentions that they collect data anonymously. If that's the case, then I can see the (positive) value of the data to improve upon the software/service. BUT, to do that, it has to be deliberately designed to omit identifying informations (origination ip, phone numbers, itunes account name, etc). The only scenario where I see Apple complying to their own ToS is to save their own asses in case there's gov't investigation of it. So, it's probable.

Video encryption was probably omitted for performance reasons?

Carrier updates to maintain locks are understandable. Those phones are bought with partial operator subsidy; so they want to ensure that it's still tied to the operator.

I'm pretty surprised about their support systems to contain info about jailbreaking though.

Fapple, fapple. F Apple.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Now if only they would stop actively blocking jailbreaking and just let users know that if they **** it up then they get no support.

But for most (knowledgeable) users, could just return the device to factory settings before seeking Apple help (if it hasn't already been backlisted).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-06-28 at 22:29.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
I use to be all about apple and how user friendly it was but when i had to do amything with it like install, accessories, or help I had to pay for everything i dumped all my Iphones an I pod and my mac . Never looked back .

The Following User Says Thank You to danx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Why would you get an iPhone? If you only want the iPhone for video conferencing, you're better off buying laptop or an N95 (which can call over wi-fi and 3G) and is cheaper. Of course the iPhone is better at other things, but video calling..not so much. Get a netbook for video calling. A phone doesn't come close to a netbook in those regards.
My mother can't find her way on S60 to save her life. I had already trialed my E71 and a 5800 with her. She mostly needs it for Skype voice calls, e-book reading, small PDA like functions. Maybe I will get her a Moto Droid through my company contract lol.