Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I have loved Planet Maemo ever since I discovered it; it's a great source of (usually) reliable information, coming directly from experts and people deeply involved in the community.

I first noticed a change when recently a few blogs were aggregated that basically all repeated each other's content - content that I'd read before either here on t.m.o. or elsewhere. The kind of content I would blog about myself. I thought I could cope with that because maybe after a while, those blogs would develop and provide genuine content.

Now I even find tweets from twitter syndicated to planet Maemo, which was the last straw for me and made me write this.

What I'd be interested in:
  • Am I the only one who thinks it's getting too much recently? If so, just forget about it and I'll subscribe to selected blogs without relying on the planet.
  • I know that how to deal with the planet and which blogs to syndicate was a topic every now and then here on t.m.o., usually along the lines of "there should be more end user oriented content". - I used to support that, now I don't any more. - Aside from being mentioned every now and then here, is there an ongoing discussion about the planet policy somewhere (wiki, mailing list?) that I missed?
  • Do any of you subscribe to the (community-filtered) http://maemo.org/news/items.xml instead of the planet? Does that work (as in: Would I miss relevant information that way?) - It's cruel to do this because you don't actively partivipate in the useful ranking process then, but still...

If this comes across too negatively, I apologize... I still read the planet first thing in the morning and I've yet to find a better alternative; also, if things stay as they are now it might still be acceptable once I get used to it. It's just that I see the danger that in 3 months, there'll be 20 posts/day (or 20 tweets/hour) all pointing to the same video on youtube.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Sorry to hear about the lack of original content. I'm noticing the same thing. Sadly, my site isn't getting included in the aggregation yet, and I've been waiting weeks already. Maybe its payback for not making enough friends. LOL! Go figure!

Once the device has been launched, we'll all have more to talk about. Right now, its a chase for news, with little else to cover since most of the bloggers are Symbianites with little Maemo experience, and nothing new is being announced except morale busting delays.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I was debating whether to ask for my blog to be aggregated - but I don't even have an n900 yet! Anything I write will be decidedly 'end user' so I was holding off.

I suspect the 300 are still too busy testing etc to worry about blogging.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If you find Planet Maemo too noisy why don't follow http://maemo.org/news where things are already filtered and what is relevant anyway gets to the highlights almost always?

christexaport, I'm sorry to hear about this. It might have been missed. Can you re-send the request to the same address? I promise fast answer this time.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Thanks, qgil. Can you reverify that email address? Maybe that is the issue. We've sent 3 requests. I'm sure my administrator thinks its all my fault. I hope it isn't, or I'd feel really bad. I'm sure its just a case of being too busy.

Last edited by christexaport; 2009-11-03 at 10:44.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Do any of you subscribe to the (community-filtered) http://maemo.org/news/items.xml instead of the planet? Does that work (as in: Would I miss relevant information that way?) - It's cruel to do this because you don't actively partivipate in the useful ranking process then, but still...
Planet Maemo is the big busy "everything about Maemo in blogs" by design, and News is the filtered view of only interesting stuff. So when you have time, use Planet, and when you're busy use News.

BTW, thumbs-up is not the only contributing factor to posts rising to the News page, we also take delicious bookmarks, blog links and other things into account...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
BTW, thumbs-up is not the only contributing factor to posts rising to the News page, we also take delicious bookmarks, blog links and other things into account...
That's very interesting. Missed that aspect completly.

Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Planet Maemo is the big busy "everything about Maemo in blogs" by design, and News is the filtered view of only interesting stuff. So when you have time, use Planet, and when you're busy use News.
If this is what it's supposed to be, then everything's fine. I used to see the planet as "interesting stuff" and the filtered News as "where you see the highlights if you only go to maemo.org weekly".

I guess I'll just give News a try and see what I'd miss.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Thanks, qgil. Can you reverify that email address? Maybe that is the issue. We've sent 3 requests. I'm sure my administrator thinks its all my fault. I hope it isn't, or I'd feel really bad. I'm sure its just a case of being too busy.
You mean the planet@ email address? We have got several requests through it in the past weeks.

Well, Planet Maemo is an automatic aggregator. It is not supposed to be selective about what it aggregates. Having said that, there is a list on the right, titled "Subscriptions" that lists all the blogs aggregated at Planet Maemo. Is there some way to configure this subscription list for each maemo.org user?

Benny, I just hope my recent endeavours are not part of the "noise" you're speaking of... :-)