Active Topics

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I'm working on getting gonvert to work on Maemo I did a little bit of playing around with UI getting it more fit for small screen. I tried to hildonize it but never done it before and I keep screwing it up. I'm going to include what I've done so far can someone please help me with this. There is no unit conversion program for Maemo and I really need one.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2240466/S...onvert-0.2.zip

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Hi,

I started writing a simple unit converter with Python and QT (see https://garage.maemo.org/projects/qtconverter/), but I was going to change to GTK since I don't think the QT bindings are going to make it out of extras-devel anytime soon.

If you're interested, I can put what I have now (the QT version) into extras-devel.

-jkq

PS. I went and googled it -- yikes! That's pretty fancy looking, way moreso than what I was doing...
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

Last edited by jkq; 2009-10-30 at 04:56. Reason: Fiddling with signature

Well really Gonert is almost to fancy for tablet was breaking it down an removing some functions, I would love to see what you have so far. BTW I am not sure if you making it so you can add conversions if not I have 2 i want to request you add

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Well really Gonert is almost to fancy for tablet was breaking it down an removing some functions, I would love to see what you have so far. BTW I am not sure if you making it so you can add conversions if not I have 2 i want to request you add
I have plans for doing local additions/overrides (mainly so that I can have currency conversions without constantly updating the package), but it isn't implemented yet.

I don't mind taking requests for various additions. What did you want added?

I'll try to throw something into extras-devel later today (I've never done it before, so we'll see how that goes! ).

-jkq

Basically I need radiation measurements thinks like Severts to Rem and Bq to Ci I'll can do a write up that explains the conversion between them

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
What is the issue with gonvert that makes it too fancy for a tablet? Do you know if the author is friendly to taking improvements upstream?

Well UI needs a total redo to look well in my work I took the left side and right side of screen and split it into two tabs. That works fine, but some of the features don't seem to work right(Like Clear Selection). Also it is suppose to allow you to add conversion types but havn't figured that out yet. I want going to move the find box off main screen as well. The big problem right now is its not hildonized I tried but I screwed it up and had to start all over.

I might have time tonight to play around with it.

Something that can be helpful is a python module I wrote that helps with auto-hildonization. I wrote it to help with code re-use within my projects especially when I started porting to Fremantle. Using it, you can support vanilla GTK, Diablo, and Fremantle
See hildonize.py for the module
and dc_glade.py for some of its uses
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...root=gc-dialer

I haven't played with gonvert yet to know if my ideas would interfere with functionality but I'll go ahead and list them out and look like a fool
  • I was thinking the left side would be moved into a touch selector dialog.
  • The column names could be removed
  • I haven't tried it on Fremantle, but there is a search option built in to the TreeView widget which cuts down that space.
  • I'd either cut out the unit description or display it in a different way.

unit description can go all together I would say if you don't know what it is why are you converting to it I like all your ideas about the UI

Thanks for jumping on I"m no programing but I was trying lol

Well, if you wanted to learn programming, I don't suggest the gonvert code base as a starting point

Hopefully I can still make something of it....