Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Just to let you know: I bought a PMA430, which should arrive next week. As I have at the moment not much else to do but sit around and sul^H^H^H revalidate, I'm probably going to compare it to my 770.

If y'all are very nice, I might even write about it...

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
This is a very premature first inkling of a comparison: I got my Archos PMA430 three hours ago, so don't expect indepth stuff yet.

First impressions:

- Well, the screens are obviously no comparison: Nokillo has this gorgeous 800x480 pearly white screen while poor Archie (yes, I name my gadgets. I admit it, I am thàt sad) has to get by with a simple 320x240 QVGA thingie. Archie's screen is nevertheless quite good, with clever adjustment options (some of which I don't understand, but they obviously do something). For movie playback, Archie's screen is quite acceptable, although Nokillo (OK, it's like this: "Nokia" + the "leet" version of "770". Got it?) has the advantage of that wide screen. I prefer not to letterbox my movies, so there's bound to be less black on Nokillo.

- Wireless option appears to be a clear victory for Nokillo. Although Archie has (surprisingly) WiFi on board, it's only the slow and less glamourous version of it. Archie's reception is also a lot worse than Nokillo's, giving up when the 770 -- like the bunny -- is still sucking up those waves from the ether. No Bluetooth is to be found on Archie's person either, although see below...

-Wired connections. Here Archie clearly wins, but that was to be expected: Archie is supposed to be able to record video and audio directly from a non-computer source, for which it has a very clever connector on board (unfortunately, the connector comes standard only on Archie's humongous docking cradle. A "travel cable" has to be purchased separately for around 30 euros). Next to that, Archie has not one, but two (!) USB-connectors (both of the mini-variety, but adapters are in the box): one is a USB 2.0 device port (for connecting Archie to a pc and pump movies at an amazing rate through the pipeline) and secondly a fully functional USB host port (only 1.1, but it works out of the box! I plugged a USB keyboard in it and could start typing immediately). This USB port is reputedly also capable of accepting a Bluetooth dongle, so BT is not completely out of the picture.
I'm told Archie will even accept a USB-to-Ethernet plug, so there it beats Nokillo hands down (I have had the opportunity to really pine for such an easy option on Nokillo, when having to haul around a relatively big tablet just to set up a pc-fobic friends wireless router).

- Storage. I'm on two legs here. Obviously Archie wins, with that 30 GB hard disk under the hood, but I'm not discounting Nokillo completely: Archie has no slot for removable media (although there is of course that USB host port again) so, provided someone invents a 40 GB RS-MMC card, Nokillo could still win this one.

- Operating system. Hmmm... Archie has Linux, Nokillo has Linux. Archie runs an older (and reputedly stabler) version of QTopia, Nokillo runs the Hildon environment we've all learned to love and loathe. Both try to hide as much as possible of their innards from the unsuspecting user, but Nokillo wins here, because Archie was set up in such a way that, whatever a user tries to change (other than the obvious, like adding software), a reboot will bring Archie back to its factory state. Even the date is set back to some where in 2005!
OTOH, since april this year, Archie can be flashed with an OpenPMA variant of the OpenZaurus distro, while Nokillo has only Nokia's idea of an operating system. So again I'm kinda undecided in which of the two sucks most.

-PDA functionality. Archie has almost all of the standard QTopia PDA applets on board, and there's even a (highly unofficial and most likely illegal) version of HanCom Office floating around on an Internet near you. Nokillo, as we all know, has nothing and is even denying categorically it has anything to do with PDAs.
But.
There's that hard disk on Archie. It's great for storing video and music and stuff, but it really sucks for PDA things: it's like a Palm Lifedrive, only worse. Applications take serious amounts of time to start up, opening and saving files is really noticeable. Well, it's like having a pc in your hand, actually, with all the good (storage) and bad (lagging) that goes with it. As a "keep-it-with-you-for-looking-up-stuff" device, for my money Nokillo wins here, regardless what I wrote before.

That's it for now. I'll be back with more if I can be bothered, but as a general conclusion seems to be the way to round of these kinds of things, here's mine:

Archie is a great multimedia device and I'm already committed to using it as such (I've been decoding "From Russia With Love", with PocketDivXEncoder, as I wrote this article), but after a short test run I decided there's no way José I'm going to use Archie as an Internet tablet. Not after having been exposed to Nokillo. No sir.

Woops! I forgot: a very good place to get started if you want to learn more about this Archos PMA430 is this one:

http://www.pointlisse.com/PMA430/

It's really quite good.

Thx for the initial review! I seriously contemplated the PMA430 but the price held me back. Finally, the N770 showed up and saved the day - and some $$. I'm still very curious though and like I said, if the price of the PMA430 were more attractive, I'd be inclined to play. So keep the comparative write-ups coming. Who knows what could happen...(anybody have those winning lotto numbers???)

Originally Posted by phatcat33
Thx for the initial review! I seriously contemplated the PMA430 but the price held me back. Finally, the N770 showed up and saved the day - and some $$. I'm still very curious though and like I said, if the price of the PMA430 were more attractive, I'd be inclined to play. So keep the comparative write-ups coming. Who knows what could happen...(anybody have those winning lotto numbers???)
Just to make you even more depressed: I got my brand-spanking-new Archie off eBay for (shipping included)... <drumroll>... 386.50 euros!

I actually paid more for my 770.

Have you guys heard of the Archos 604 wi-fi? 30 GB HD media player + wi-fi with Opera browser. It's got touch screen too, though the resolution is only 480 x 272. Expected price is $450 US.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...-wi-fi-preview
http://www.archos.com

Originally Posted by Vinh
Have you guys heard of the Archos 604 wi-fi? 30 GB HD media player + wi-fi with Opera browser. It's got touch screen too, though the resolution is only 480 x 272. Expected price is $450 US.

I have indeed heard of it. It's still not here, though (the "regular" 604 barely is) and, cool as it may be, I have a soft spot for complete computers in as small a package as possible, even if I'm only going to use them to play movies. What can I say? I'm a kook with too much pocket money.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

Yes, that's why there is a thread in this very same sub-forum named "Next Generation Archos 604".

I've heard about it now - thanks. Looks like a cool media player. Not sure about the computer side of things though, and the cost is too high to just be a media player. That market is very saturated. What's needed are more N770's and the like.

A very minor addition to my comparative deathmatch between Nokillo and Archie:

One point where Archie clearly wins: it's USB host port. All I had to do to watch the pictures on my camera's CF card, was to hook up my USB cardreader to Archie (after having opened its file manager first, a minor quirk that nevertheless had me baffled for several minutes) and click on the first picture file. Archie's picture viewer opened and I could zoom through the pictures as if there was no tomorrow.

I previously tried this on Sammy, my Siemens SL4 SimPad (for the curious, a Wince 4.1 really big diskless notepad), where I inserted the CF card in the PCCard slot (with an adapter). Although Sammy recognized the card without problems, it seems Wince has no picture viewer that can effortlessly process 800x600 pictures, let alone the full-scale 2048x1536 versions (they literally took minutes to come up, this with a CPU that is not significantly different from Archie's. But then, we all knew that Windows sucks, right?).

So, Yay Linux! and Yay Archie!

I'm not booing Nokillo, but admittedly, as a camera picture viewer for on-the-road, it just doesn't work (unless I make myself one of those battery-powered hubs and can find the instructions on how to enable USB host mode on Nokillo, that is. But I couldn't be bothered really).