Active Topics

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Kinpo 7" Android think client tablet

7", 800x480, mini-USB, SD card.

Has some rough edges (rotation is apparently not fully worked out yet, as you can see in the video), and they didn't really show all of the possibilities (how well does it work with the two virtual keyboards?). I also don't like how there's extra "edge" at the bottom.

Things I'd like to see on it: mini-dvi-i out or mini-vga-out, one or two full size USB host slots (for KVM), and an internal PCI Express Mini slot, for OPTIONAL 3G. Oh, and, of course, I'd rather see a 9" tablet.

And, then, there's my usual 6 things I'd like to see fixed about Android, before I'd use it on a non-phone:
  • Full Gmail (send/reply as one of my other gmail personalities, create/edit filters, create/edit labels, see full details of the message, see the original message, edit the quoted message in a reply (to trim it down, focus on a particular passage, etc.))
  • Full Google Reader (keyboard shortcuts, add/edit tags)
  • Full Google Docs (read/write, all formats, view Gmail attachments)
  • Full IM (more than 1 identity per service, more than 1 service active at a time, more than one identity at a time active with each service, more jabber servers that just google talk, more than one Google Talk account, logging conversations to SD card/storage)
  • Better VNC viewer support, and better integration with ConnectBot (not so much Google's fault, but still something that's necessary for me on a netbook; must be able to do BOTH ssh tunneling through ConnectBot AND vnc password on the same connection).
  • Tethering (Wifi +++, BT-DUN ++, BT-PAN +, USB)
    • phone: act as the server/access point/modem for those
    • netbook: act as the client for those, in addition to options for built-in/internal 3G.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2009-06-16 at 01:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Man, Nokia better start shaking things up real quick... this particular sidewalk is getting mighty crowded !

(but this so-called "thin client" ain't real thin, either :-)

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
I think this is where the real threat will come. Cheap Chinese manufactures that don't give a damn about Linux, bundle Android with their 'cheap-as-chips' hardware and we see a massive Android following.

Nokia has done it semi-right so far. A stuttering start but they are now funding upstream, opening up proprietary code and contributing to the eco-space. Would a no-name Chinese manufacturer do that too? (disclaimer I use Chinese manufacturer but it could be any low-paid workforce, mass market country).