http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../12/19/2338237

Anyone think this is really going to fly? If it does, it's got quite a potential to help mobile devices like the NIT.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../12/19/2338237

Anyone think this is really going to fly? If it does, it's got quite a potential to help mobile devices like the NIT.
Not really. If I read correctly the method reduces the power consumed by the antenna by the order of 12, not the whole device.

On a cell phone that may be a sizable chunk of the total power consumed, but on a WiFi/BT only device like our tablets... maybe not so much.

Edit: ... BTW, I think it will fly but other factors like RF & magnetic interference may have to be overcome first.

Last edited by YoDude; 2008-12-20 at 04:10.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
Hmmm i wonder what happens when you connect LOTS of components like that. I'm not sure that you could build a whole device with that kind of technology. So I'm with YoDude on that matter...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
wifi can eat a lot of juice, if allowed to...

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
I read his dissertation. The idea he has is to use a wireless connection internally in the device as a lower resistance "wire" than the copper/hybrid alloy wire that is used currently. (The N800's wire to the antenna is several tenths of an ohm) It is an interesting idea that will take at least 3 to 5 years until it is seen in devices. It could also shrink the size of devices.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tso View Post
wifi can eat a lot of juice, if allowed to...
If applied correct it doesn't. With correct material and aiming one can extend the range. I've seen stations like this together with other embedded hardware applied in Africa on solar power.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I love the /. comments... some people analyzing the thesis via other comments rather than the paper itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
thats slashdot for you, dont bother reading the article, just comment on the summary...

Yes, but the article's just been /.ed; odds are it's already inaccessible, so why try reading it?

is there not some kind of mirroring service built into slashdot these days?