Active Topics

Starting yesterday afternoon, all of a sudden the browser on my N800 will not launch. If I try to open a bookmark or a blank browser window the browser window will open briefly and in the upper right hand corner it will say "updating" and then close after a couple of seconds.

Other applications like Skype that require internet access are working fine, so this appears to be a browser specific problem.

I know close to zero about linux, so the extent of my trouble shooting has been to turn off and on the N800 and try again...with the same results.

I'm running OS2008.

Thanks for any advice.

I would try updating the tablet's firmware, it's very easy to do if you have access to a Windows PC:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-firmware.html

Don't worry if it says you have the latest version, reinstalling the same version can often help too.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Go to Menu > Utilities > X Terminal and type this in :
rm -rf ~/.mozilla

Try starting browser again.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
@dylanemcgregor, please let us know if qwerty12's fix works for you or not.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Thank you. Qwerty12's fix worked perfectly.

I apologize for not getting back sooner, without being able to load the browser on my N800 meant I didn't have access to the forum until late last night.

As a complete Linux noob, can I ask what the fix did? Also any thoughts on what might have tripped up the browser in the first place?

Thanks again,
Dylan

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
~/.mozilla is where the browser's settings are stored. (well, technically, /home/user/.mozilla - "~" is a generic "shortcut" on any linux system pointing to the home folder)

I guess something corrupted or it didn't like a setting. It makes no difference as the folder will be recreated with default settings.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-05-19 at 12:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Thanks. And the "rm -rf" portion is what resets everything back to default?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Thanks. And the "rm -rf" portion is what resets everything back to default?
Not exactly. An rm -rf (remove -recursivelyforce) deletes the settings directory, which effectively resets everything back to defaults, but that's not actually what the command does.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the clarification. It is always nice to know what a command is doing so hopefully I can slowly learn at least a little of how linux works.