Active Topics

First, let me say I bought this N810 to replace my Qtek G100 Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 5 because I wanted a better browsing experience and the ability to stream video/audio. With the Pocket
PC the mobile browser was limited and I had to download wmv, mov, mp3, etc files to my PC first then network them over 802.11b to the pda before playing them in TCPMP or WMP mobile. As long as the video files were somewhat small, around 320x240 and between 5-120MB they played just fine.

Now to the N810. (btw, I have the latest OS upgrade) The first thing I tried is standard browsing. Looks great, text is kind of small and not finger friendly at all (can't get the finger keyboard to work
right). The browsing can be slow on some sites even though I'm now running at 802.11g. I tried youtube and it worked fine with some choppiness, but viewable. Other streaming video websites are
more choppy, even on low quality video, here is an example:

http://revision3.com/tzdaily/2008-03-24gmail/

I tried viewing the video in many ways:
1. streaming from the site in low quality in their flash player = (ok, but choppy, viewable somewhat)
2. streaming from the site in high quality in their flash player = (too choppy, unviewable)
3. downloaded the "small wmv" file (6mb) onto my network and stream it to N810's Media Player = (too choppy, unviewable)
4. downloaded the "small wmv" file (6mb) onto my N810, both ext and int storage, played in N810's Media Player = (too choppy, unviewable)
5. downloaded the "small wmv" file (6mb) onto my N810, both ext and int storage, played in N810's "MediaBox Media Center/MPlayer" = (best quality so far, video/audio sync is off, but viewable)

I tried these same setups with mov, mv4, mp4, xvid and 3gp and the N810 video was too choppy or couldn't play at all. I also downloaded every media player for the N810 that I could find and the MediaBox Media Center seemed to work the best.

Ok, some ideas. At first I thought it might be bandwidth, but I'm getting decent download speeds. I have a 5M line and ran a speed test on the N810 getting between 1M-1.3M over my wireless g router. This should be enough for streaming small files. I then thought since the N810 is getting bogged down on local video files it might be a memory issue so I maxed out the virtual memory at 128mb. This helped a little with browsing, but not video. I was also unable to get anything decent over my Orb network. I even get minor delays when listening to LOCAL audio while surfing at the same time. Many of these things I could do with my Pocket PC with a very lowend processor.

I have only loaded 3 items:
Camera
MediaBox Media Center
MPlayer because its needed by MMC

So why can't N810's resident player play any of these videos with some quality?
Am I expecting too much from this device?
I'm also finding the reaction time when clicking on app buttons or browser links to be delayed and annoying.

I feel like I'm back where I started. Download wmv files onto PC, then network them over to the N810 to play and I can't even play other formats that I played on my PPC.

What am I doing wrong, what can I try or am I stuck with this performance?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
For Orb, use this special Orb version:

http://www.orb.com/n800/

Also what resolution are the files you play? N8x0 can't play files with its native screen resolution.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-03-25 at 11:33.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Okay the thumb keyboard can be summoned by two ways:

1. pressing the center button of the keypad.

2. Tapping with your finger on any text entry field with a little jerk. The force shoud be a fast tap not pressing hard.

And if you want a bigger font with bigger scrollbars.... here is a modified theme.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ollbars&page=2

And you can also subsciribe to video feeds via video center which should be in your application manager installable applications. I have that tekzilla small xvid feeds and it works well in mplayer for sure.

I SPECIFICALY TESTED THE GMAIL VIDEO YOU LINKED HERE AND IT WORKED WONDERFULLY ON MPLAYER. I DOWNLOADED THE XVID SMALL VIDEO AND IT WAS A TREAT TO WATCH ON THE GORGEOUS SCREEN. mAY BE THE LARGE WILL ALSO WORK.

Last edited by sachin007; 2008-03-25 at 12:15.