Hello all,

Alright I have one machine which is my gateway, whom we shall call machine A, and another machine (B) which acts as DNS for the network providing Dynamic DNS in cooperation with machine A. For every other machine on the network, they do their dance and when a client requests an address, it gets one and it's name is registered with the DNS.

But the N810 on the other hand, well it gets an address, but it doesn't appear in the DNS.

Thinking about this a little bit, one would point out that the DHCP server updating the DNS is mostly a seperate system, however I am wondering if the N810 is even providing my poor DHCP server with a hostname? It stands to reason that if the DHCP server doesn't receive a hostname then it ^can't^ update the DNS, which brings me here.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their N810?
I'll keep looking to see if I can figure this weirdness out, and post a solution if I find one.

Thanks in advance!
click170

Last edited by click170; 2008-05-19 at 18:47.

Isn't it usually the other way around? Your dhcp gives the client the hostname? That's what happens on my network anyway.

Are you allocating static addresses based on mac addresses? Maybe you just need to add an entry for your NIT? If the dhcp can' t match a hostname to the mac, it can't then update the DNS, as you said.

Well I guess that depends on how you've setup your dhcpd.conf file. I haven't set mine up with static addresses for most machines on the network. In this configuration I've been able to conclude that if there is no hostname specified in the dhcpd config file then it updates the dns with the hostname provided by the client at lease time. At least, this is what happens with several other machines on the network who's configs aren't specified in the conf file and whom still appear in the dns once they have an address.

I was hoping I could avoid having to set a specific address for the N810, but worse comes to worse that is a possibility that would likely work for updating the dns as well, but I'd really rather have it dynamically addressed.

Try running ethereal/wireshark on your LAN. As I recall, clients can send various options
to the DHCP server, which may use them or ignore them. One such I recall is hostname.
Maybe the Windows machines are sending the workgroup machine name and the tablet
is sending nothing.
On my desktop options are in /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf.
On the tablet there are some scripts in /etc/udhcpc
udhcpc takes an option -H (send hostname) but I can't see how to pass it.
udhcpc seems to be started by icd which is started by /etc/init.d/osso-ic

Having the DHCP server update DNS is common on Windows systems (active directory), and
is possible with later versions of BIND.