Active Topics

I'm about to order a N810 in the US, for using it at home in Switzerland... Just two final questions:
  • WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS are compatible with European devices, right?
  • The N810 package contains a travel charger that accepts voltage from 110 - 240 volt, right?
May be dumb questions, but I want to make sure I'm not stumbling over something unexpected.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
No, these are not dumb questions. For example, there are less WiFi channels used in the US than in Europe.

But how about asking these questions in some existing threads instead of creating a new one? Using search with "n810 import" I can see that there are other threads about importing n810 from the US.

The jury is still out on the wi-fi channel issue. What's clear is that channels 1-11 are ok everywhere. For the N800 most of us believed that the hardware is the same everywhere, and getting access to channels 12+13 (and 14 for Asia) was only a question of which country you set your N800 up for. Some still claimed there was a hardware limitation.. and nothing conclusive came out of that before the discussions dried out with some links back to earlier arguments. Anyway, with channels 1-11 working everywhere you're pretty well covered though, whatever the truth is about this.

As for the charger - the N800 came with a full 100-240V range charger everywhere afaik. Don't know about the N810.

Nokia have a fairly standardized set of PSUs - besides legacy PSUs for outdated products, there are only two or three current basic models, all 100-240V, with the usual set of local plug sub-variations. Electrically, you'd be fine with the US model - but the US localized plug would mean using some ugly adapter, and a travel converter set would be barely cheaper than a Nokia PSU. The neccessary standard Nokia PSUs are available at every cell phone store, for about 5-15EUR depending on whether you hit a cheap or expensive store, and whether you want the normal or tiny one.

As far as WiFi is concerned, I cannot access my AP when it is set to 12 or 13, with my N800 (bought in Germany) set to Germany or UK, so mine seems to be channel 1-11 limited. But YMMV - maybe that gets set up once at initial installation (a behaviour quite common on PC WiFi gear and routers), where I may have left it at the US default at that time.

I own a N800 (and live in North America) and I am travelling to Europe soon (czeck republic to be exact). If I understand correctly, the only thing I need in order to make sure I can use my N800 during my trip is a plug converter, and i do not need any current converter or anything else. Is that right?

thank you very much

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Czech Republic
@pnormand I live in Czech and all you need is the Plug convertor. No more.

The Following User Says Thank You to zakeen For This Useful Post:
in the meantime I have got my N810 (I'm actually posting from it). everything works absolutely fine. A plug converter is the only thing needed.