Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Now that I can BT connect to the net via my iDEN phone, I am beginning to use my tablet as I originally intended.

That is, as an extension or enhanced way of browsing sites that I normally view with the phones small screen. This works well because regardless of the processor speed or browser features, desktop style web browsing using a phones slow connection still leaves a lot to be desired. Pages and sites formatted for mobile devices however, zip along nicely and are a pleasure to view on the tablets higher res and larger screen.

One of the sites I frequent is that of my local TV station >> http://www.localwireless.com/wap/sta...sid=19&dma=504

As you can see, along with quick links to frequently used information it has a “Video on Demand” feature. This is where my problem comes in…

Clicking on a link >> mms://a1996.v293358.c29335.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1996/29335/v0001/localsolnet.download.akamai.com/29335/19/1829357193_2070539.wmv
Starts the tablets “Media player” with the loaded video however, the player soon reports “Codec not supported”. Currently my work around is to save the links location, open Mplayer, paste in the location and punch play…

Since these videos are small in size, formatted for the smaller screen, and sometimes contain local breaking news, a less complicated way of viewing them is desired. The way I see it I can do one of three things to accomplish this.

1. Install the WMV codec in “Media player”.
2. Configure MicroB to launch “Mplayer” instead of “Media player”.
3. Use a Greasemonkey script that launches “Mplayer” for WMV links on those pages.

Either way I don’t have the skills to implement the best method and any help would surely be ‘preceated.

BTW, you maybe able to find a site like this for your city by using >> http://www.localwireless.com/wap/?zc=

Hmm. WMV codec in media player's a pain.

It's possible to change the MIME associations to launch mplayer, but I don't think anyone's done so since we went from Opera to MicroB...if I find anything, I'll post it here.

Greasemonkey can't launch MPlayer directly due to security restrictions, but it could add a link for "copy to clipboard" after each link on that site, or something like that.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Thanks... Changing the mime associations would be the way to go.
I had no luck with Greasemonkey and now I no one of the reasons, thanks.