Active Topics

Just any FYI, I flashed the ITOS2007HE with Fanoush's MMCPlus52Mhz + Multiblock writes experimental kernel mod and it seems to be running great. I couldn't find anywhere where someone has tried this, so I just wanted to state something for the record.

I used Fanoush's write speed test example command "sync ; date ; dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/mmc/test bs=8192 count=5000 ; sync ; date" and transferred 40MB in about 30-40 seconds, which was way better than the 4-5 minutes I got before flashing.

I'm not sure if it is my imagination, but graphically intense sites seem to load MUCH faster. The only thing I can think of is the much increased write (and read) speed of the cache/virtual ram?

I'm using the Kingston 2GB mmcmobile card and I used the kernel flasher directly in the N770 from x-term. I also boot from the MMC Card, so hopefully the whole system is getting a boost.

EDIT: Yes I can say for sure that by booting from the MMC card and running the read and write patch that the whole system is much "snappier" and websites load/navigate faster. Which is to be expected from such an increase in read/write speeds.

Last edited by weezedog; 2007-07-06 at 17:49.

I dont see where that's downloadable. Is there a fiasco image somewhere? Any link on how to do this? I have yet to purchase a large mmc card for my device, but if it helps with the speed, I just might.

The kernel patch and flasher are available at Fanoush's site:
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/

Its not a fiasco image, its basically a patch that you flash to the device using a linux flasher. You run the kernel flasher directly on the 770 within xterm, no need for a linux computer.

That's awesome. These new MMCPlus cards are much faster than I gave them credit for.

Any chance you could post your installation notes or outline a walkthrough?

I have the standard 2006 -49 image booting from MMC now, but wasn't able to replace the kernel. When you boot from MMC, does it fetch the (modified) kernel from there, or do you have to keep that in the internal flash?

A FIASCO image would be sweet, or even just a raw dump of your 1GB partition, compressed.. dd'ing it onto an MMC card would be easy.

I posted too quickly.

Hi,

I have installed ITOS2007HE on my MMC2. follow the guide step by step and take me a hour. And now I want to know if this hack works for me?? If yes, can anyone of you guys upload a step by step guide??

Thanks

Yup, I'm interested too. I've been saving my 2GB MMC for the next OS2007HE update, but I'm tired of waiting, and seeing my OS2006 reboot itself every 24hrs...

Ok here's a pretty much step by step guide of what I did. If you install unzip you could do this 100% on the nokia, but I didn't feel like installing unzip so I just used my Windows PC to unzip the Zimage and put in on the mmc card via usb.

Before doing this, make sure you have xterm and becomeroot installed. I'm pretty sure it's required to access the kernel.
This was all done while booted from the MMC, I did not boot to the internal flash.

1. On my PC,downloaded the Zimage from here.
2. Unzipped the file and copied it to the mmc card via usb. The file should be called zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-multiblockw
3. Once on the mmc card, I copied the zImage from the mmc card to the Documents folder, just to be on the safe side I wanted the flasher and zimage in the same place. Now with ITOS2007 this has to be done from the terminal because filemanager can't manage files on the mmc, its a bug.
I think the command I used was:
"cp /media/mmc1/zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-multiblockw /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/"

4.On the 770, download the following kernel flasher file from here. Save it to your documents folder.
5. Open X-term and give your self root access by typing "sudo gainroot"
6. Change directories by typing "cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/"
7. Uncompress it using the following command "tar zxvf kernel_flasher.tgz"
8. Change directories by typing "cd kernel_flasher"
9. Flash image by typing "./kernel_flash /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-multiblockw"
10. Reboot by typing "shutdown -r now"

And of course all commands are typed without quotation marks. You could also shorten the zImage file name to make it easier on yourself, but I didn't.

Last edited by weezedog; 2007-07-06 at 22:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to weezedog For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot weezedog

I will give it a try tonight.

Thanks.

Will the available space on the card become less and less due to blocks dying from too many writes? That's the trade-off for speed, right? I wonder when a new card would have to be purchased.