Active Topics

I've been using an HTC Wizard for awhile now and want an internet tablet. I find the slide out keyboard on the HTC too slow for me, trying to find the right key combination to type anything useful. I revert to the onscreen keyboard and a stylus and find it quite speedy. Also, I want GPS, but since the GPS in the 810 is not a sirf III, I would just use my BT GPS. Based on this info, are there any other things that the 810 can do that the 800 can't?

Originally Posted by sdl View Post
I've been using an HTC Wizard for awhile now and want an internet tablet. I find the slide out keyboard on the HTC too slow for me, trying to find the right key combination to type anything useful. I revert to the onscreen keyboard and a stylus and find it quite speedy. Also, I want GPS, but since the GPS in the 810 is not a sirf III, I would just use my BT GPS. Based on this info, are there any other things that the 810 can do that the 800 can't?
I'm just partly guessing here since I've owned my n800 for about a year but I don't own an 810. But I would think other than what you listed as differences there couldn't be a lot of differences since it's essencially the same operating system. The 810 has less storage since it only has one memory card slot as opposed to the n800's two slots. But if you might want to install KDE you might want to go the n810 route since the slideout physical keyboard would be much more usefull with KDE than the virtual keyboard there that really tends to get in the way. You also have more keyboard shortcut possibilities that you can create with that 810 keyboard in KDE. Don't know about KDE? Check out that forum on this site.

Neil

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
The N800 is a more capable device in several ways (more storage, FM Radio) etc than the N810, but owning both of them, I do find myself using the N810 more due to the hardware keyboard. IMHO the N800 at the $250 price point is dollar for dollar better value than the $420 N810 at this time.

Since there is such a difference in price, and the fact I know nothing of Linux, maybe I should get the N800 to get my feet wet and wait for the next model to come around. My main uses will be web browsing and some sort of remote connecting like VNC. I would love to replace my GPS device, but it doesn't look like there are any mapping programs out there for Linux except what comes on the 810 and that will not work at all for me. Just thinking out loud. Thanks.

I wish I could find one locally, but it seems to be an internet only item.

Last edited by sdl; 2008-02-25 at 13:18.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
One important (not so much advertised) feature of N810: If you plan to use your tablet in outdoors (sunlight), the N810 wins hands down due to its transflective screen.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
This is especially important if you plan to use this as an in-car GPS navigation system since the N800 screen will wash-out under strong lighting conditions.

I would like to use it as an in car navigation system, but is there any real gps navigation software (Tomtom, iGO, Mio Map, Etc.) ported for Linux?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by sdl View Post
I would like to use it as an in car navigation system, but is there any real gps navigation software (Tomtom, iGO, Mio Map, Etc.) ported for Linux?
There is the "Maps" that is a Wayfinder specially built for N8x0. It is about as "real" GPS navigation software that I can think. (But it is not free...)

I'm using the great MaemoMapper. If you have internet connection through your cell phone it is capable of doing most, if not all, "real GPS" navigation things... and the maps, since being bitmaps, look a lot better than any vector based GPS's I have seen. The downside is that bitmaps takes a lot more room from memory card.

For special purposes you can even use terrain maps or satellite images! Try that with your "real GPS" system?

That all sounds great and I would certainly try those if/when I get a unit, but I would want a program that is native to the unit with maps on the sd card and not have to require internet access.

The real appeal to me with these units is if I can have a web browser and VNC veiwer and add a full GPS application. Then I could dump my stand alone GPS unit. But it doesn't seem like that is really supported yet, nor do I know if that is even a reasonable expectation.

Last edited by sdl; 2008-02-25 at 16:12.