Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Currently operating in Afghanistan
Ok, so I just got my N800 and tried to update the firmware. It's not working. Let me tell you a little bit about whats going on. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and we have wireless internet here but its very slow. In the last few days, I managed to download the Nokia software update tool and the update file itself on my laptop. But when I start the update tool, it won't let me use the file to update! It wants to get it again from the web. Since my internet is horrible here, it takes forever, if I can download it directly to the device at all. Is there another way I can get this update done without having to download any more files of 150MB or more? Also, I tried using my Samsung WEP200 BT headset with my N800 and the N800 can't find it. Discover is on, I dunno what the deal is, maybe I need diablo before that will work? Any help you guys can give me is very appreciated as I'm going to use this device to contact friends and family back home! Thanks!!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
did you manage to get the headset into pairing mode?

this review seems to indicate that it got a troublesome to activate pairing mode:
http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/sam...-31995314.html

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Armyof3 View Post
But when I start the update tool, it won't let me use the file to update! It wants to get it again from the web.
When you reach the step where the installation wizard displays the firmware version it intends to download and install, have you tried clicking the "Change" button? That should allow you to browse local files and select the firmware you've downloaded already. If that's not working, what is the exact error message you're seeing?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Currently operating in Afghanistan
Originally Posted by tso View Post
did you manage to get the headset into pairing mode?

this review seems to indicate that it got a troublesome to activate pairing mode:
http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/sam...-31995314.html
No, it wouldnt even find the device.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but is the N800 going into USB Update Mode OK? (The Nokia loading screen with a little USB connectivity symbol top right). Just a thought if your computer isn't seeing it.

Depsite the instructions saying to hold down the "Swap" key whilst powering on, you actually need to hold the "Home" key whilse powering on to get it into update mode.

Just a thought

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
When you reach the step where the installation wizard displays the firmware version it intends to download and install, have you tried clicking the "Change" button? That should allow you to browse local files and select the firmware you've downloaded already. If that's not working, what is the exact error message you're seeing?
your incredible! Awesome! That worked and now it appears to be updated! Yes!!