Active Topics

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
I am looking for a command-line utility or similar that will allow you to "launch" an app the same way the default applications menu will - i.e. either launch the app, or raise it to front if it is already running.

My theory is that a utility that handles .desktop files from the command line would do (since the relevant dbus info seems to be in there), but I can't find one of these. For example, if said utility was called "desktop-launch", I would figure that should be able to type "desktop-launch /usr/share/applications/hildon/skype.desktop" and either start Skype, or (if it's already running) switch to it immediately.

If anybody knows of any such utility out there, I would really appreciate a heads-up.

Also, in case y'all are wondering or have alternate solutions: what I'm trying to do is enough hackery such that I can start certain apps with keypresses - i.e. Fn+. either launches or raises osso-xterm, etc. (except that I'm planning on creating a new modifier key and using that). Planning-wise, I'm 75% of the way there with edits to the rx-44 layout and ~/.matchbox/kbdconfig, but while I can run any command line with a keypress, I can't raise an existing app and that's what I really want.

Any help is appreciated!