Active Topics

Notices

I found a great file manager that works on OS2007/8. I realise there are alot of file managers out there and they are probably faster for doing quick things but this is a 'powershell' that appears to do (or can be configured to do) -everything-

The file manager is called emelFM2 (i have no idea) and you can check it out at the original authors website :
http://emelfm2.net/ScreenShots

It supports an entire scripting language, (osso)x-term integration, customization of toolbars, drag and drop, rebinding keys, built in viewer and editor, associations, plugin system, etc... I still dont know half the stuff it can do.

If you devise an uber-configuration please post it by uploading the /home/user/.config/emelfm2/config-en_US file

If you wish to see the vast amount of capabilities it can perform, read the documentation in /usr/local/share/docs/emelfm2

Warning Advanced users only! Learn to use it in safe directories

(Version 1.2.5 build 2/9/08) - Improved root behavior, context menu, and a few associations (deb, cbr).

OS2007 build :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...bora-1.2.5.deb

OS2008 build :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...nook-1.2.5.deb

I would recommend when you first run the program that you :
- Click the magnifying glass in the Upper-Left so that only one file pane is visible
- Click the window shade icon in Lower-Left (2nd to left) so that output window is minimized
- Then toggle on/off fullscreen as needed using magnifying glass in lower left
- Go into settings as needed using screewdriver/wrench icon near lower right. If you go into advanced mode it takes a while for dialog to refresh.

Key Bindings :
Menu Key : Context Sensitive Menu (tar files have options for expand, mp3 files have options for play in xmms, etc)
ZoomOut : Toggle Left File Pane only and split
ZoomIn : Toggle Right File Pane only and split
Fullscreen : Currently toggles between panes

If you have unzip, unrar, 7za archive utilities installed, emelfm2 supports them for extraction. If you dont, i have compiled and packaged a collection of them here :

(deb installer - will fail if you already have any of these already installed)
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...ip-rar-7za.deb

tar.gz (emelfm2 can natively extract this using the built in associated tar command)
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...ar_7zip.tar.gz

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-02-09 at 16:03.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
I have updated this to (build) version 1.2.0 (see first post for link)

Its very usable with only minor quirks now. You shouldn't -need- to be a linux expert now to use it.

- Fullscreen toggle workaround (use magnifying glass icon in lower left) until i figure out how to bind that to the hardware fullscreen button.

- Integrates now with mplayer, xmms, quiver, mirage, unzip, tar.

- Context menu to show all options for a given file (open with, compress, view, edit, encrypt, change permissions, etc, etc)... just hit the hardware menu button.

- Zoomin and Zoomout hardware buttons now toggle between the two panes (double press of either shows both)

- Fullscreen toggles between two file panes.

- Remapped terminal to osso-xterm and remapped su to sudo (although it doesnt like -root?- password... anyone know what pass sudo needs?)

You are able to edit associations in the advanced settings although its still awkward due to screen space (scrolling within scrolling)... let me know if you get something working and i will add it to the base install configuration.

Unfortunately all the nokia applications seem to pass parameters through an osso context instead of on the command line... (i'm not sure why... doesn't seem very linux like) so you wont be able to launch music in nokia media player or view image in default image viewer... but for third party apps which support command line arguments (or command line utils) this makes a good environment for interoperating within a graphical power shell.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-12-28 at 03:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
OMG! This is soooooo much better than the builtin file manager. I've only just begun looking around but it looks great I did find one issue though - if you choose the have icons AND labels during the config, then you can't see all of the icons anymore including the Config icon. I had to uninstall and reinstall to fix it.

Thanks for making this!!

Thanks, i think the only way to get labels is using the 'icons beside label' in options/interface... that mode seems to work well and is a good way to learn what icons mean... you just have to drop down the list to see all buttons that didnt fit.

Maybe ill try to remove the icons above label option since that doesnt seem to work well.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-12-16 at 16:16.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
I found a great file manager that works on OS2007/8.... appears to do (or can be configured to do) -everything-... I still dont know half the stuff it can do.
Thanks Pipeline, for this great find! Indeed, it appears to do way more than I really need!

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Pipeline, this is just great.

Looking forward to any tweaks you might get round to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Thanks, and for other users : if you previously downloaded emelfm2 and your locale is other than English (US), please download the latest 1.2.2 version linked in first post.

I fixed an issue where my custom configuration file was not being used on devices with other locales. If the hardware buttons on the top of your device bring up any dialogs then its not using the custom configuration file.

pipeline,

I tried to download the OS2007 version but I get '403 Forbidden'.

I just downloaded it so it seems to be working... does the download work for you now?

The file you should be downloading for OS2007 (currently) is called emelfm2-bora-1.2.2.deb and this is what im linking to in the first post.

Otherwise try browsing the whole directory here :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles

- and find the file manually.

I got this:
>wget http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/emelFM2-bora-1.2.2.deb
--17:33:26-- http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/emelFM2-bora-1.2.2.deb => `emelFM2-bora-1.2.2.deb'
Resolving wardenclyffetower.com... 8.8.246.90
Connecting to wardenclyffetower.com|8.8.246.90|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Response denied
17:33:26 ERROR 403: Response denied.

However, I think I figured out what's wrong - or at least I think so. Our outside firewall is probably blocking the site. The only reason for that would be that the URL is somehow blocked by Watchguard.inc, which our firewall subscsribes to (they keep a blacklist. Mostly their list is bad.) I downloaded it successfully through a Tor proxy, will try it RSN.