Active Topics

Hello guys,

Today I connected my phone into my computer as normal and whacked it into Mass-Storage.

When I disconnected my phone I got a message saying that my handset's memory was read only until fixed.

I've had no problems downloading anything else to my phone, just this odd message.......Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks

I'm having this issue too. Even after only connecting it to the computer to charge it, I think. This is extremely annoying, as you can't even take photos after this happens.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Netherlands
Same here. I thought it was my fault because I reformatted the sd card to ext2 (and then back to fat32)..

@forteller: You can still take photo's by setting the camera's 'memory in use' to 'internal memory'.

Last edited by danielronde; 2010-01-24 at 23:12. Reason: Typos

danielronde: I don't have an SD card, only internal memory.

The same problem happened to me when I rebooted my phone in the middle of copying some large files to the phone via ssh. I had to use a root shell to unmount /dev/mmcblk0p1, run fsck on it, and reboot. Now it's fine. Nokia should be noticing the corrupt file system when the kernel reports it and doing all this automatically.

--Brad

You can also fix this problem using a Windows computer. Plug the phone in to USB Mass Storage Mode then you will get a notification on your computer saying that the volume needs to be checked for errors. Run the check, this will fix the volume.

To avoid this happening in the future ensure you Eject your N900 using the Windows System tray USB device removal utility.

It's annoying that the device cant check itself and repair any errors automatically.

Last edited by MartinNZ; 2010-01-26 at 00:16.

Did you pull the cable without ejecting / safely removing / unmounting? I think this could be what happened.

cyeung: No, I always unmount it first.

MartinNZ: I don't have a Windows computer, I'm using Linux. It's easier to just reboot the N900 anyways, but a bug like this is just terrible.

I had this bug too. The Windows computer doesn't detect automatically the filesystem problem when the Nokia is plugged. So, i had manually launch the filesystem fix tool (i used chkdsk from command line).

In my case, i filmed with my Nokia this week. I received a call just after i finished recording my video (and was switched to the phone app). When i had to "restart" the video record application but the video was gone and i didn't without having a chance to save it. It seems that i simply lost it without being able to do anything... It is as if a video is recorded to a temporary place and the users must tell to save it if he wants it to be included in the media library.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I had this problem. I connected it to a PC running Fedora Linux, then ran the disk checking utility that was offered to me by the Gnome GUI (sorry, didn't pay attention to what app it was). The disk checker reported no problems to fix, but nevertheless the problem disappeared.