Hi all,

I've tried serching through the site, but only came up with the following link, but it's only for the 770.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?

I tried to follow it on my N810, but it's missing the "hcitool".

Has anyone got the N810 to connect to the internet through Buetooth VIA a Windows PC? If you have, can you please post the steps to get it working?

Also, Is it possible to use the supplied USB cable to go through a Windows PC and connect to the internet that way? If possible, can some please post the steps as well.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I think You will find a section called USB Networking on Maemo wiki ...
And here it is

Last edited by fredoll; 2008-01-24 at 14:01.

He wants to connect to his PC through Bluetooth, not USB...

I think the correct search terms are "Bluetooth PAN", which takes some doing to set up on the tablets (they only support BT DUN by default)...

Yes, I want to connect using "Bluetooth PAN", but there's no instructions on how to accomplish this task that I could find.

And, Yes, I also want to connect using the USB port through a "WINDOWS PC" (Not Linux) if the Bluetooth option isn't available.

Thanks,

Excellent question - I've been trying to figure out the same thing.

I'm a tablet newbie that has just acquired the N810. I'm loving it but am unable to access the internet on it during the day while at work. I have a couple of LAN connected PCs running Windows XP in the office that are connected to the internet, but there is no available Wifi with which to connect the N810 and the company won't allow us to setup our own Wifi.

Sure, I can use the PCs to get to the internet, but I'd like to be able to access it with the N810 during the day also. The reason for this is to be able refresh/sync items such as the omweather & RSS feeds, to be able to install new software from the various repositories, and to demonstrate the connection capabilities to my co-workers.

My laptop (Thinkpad T60p) has Bluetooth capability and USB ports, so I was hoping there was a way to connect the N810 to the internet via my Windows XP laptop using either Bluetooth or the USB connection. I also read the instructions in the article about the 770 but was unable to do it that way. The USB article provides some instructions for a Linux PC but nothing for a MS Windows system. Since the N810 can connect to the internet via a phone with Bluetooth, I thought it might be able to connect via a computer with Bluetooth, but perhaps it doesn't support the necessary profile types. So far, I've had no luck, so I'd be most interested if anyone can explain how to do this - if it is even possible.

TIA

I can establish BT link in discovery mode on PC XP Win and transfer files in both directions as exactly usb works.
Nothing special.
It works with BlueSoleil and doesn't work with another Win driver.

Darius

If the Bluetooth stack in your PC supports LAP, the method and script in following link should work.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12666

Actually I have tried this script with my Thinkpad T60 and BlueSoleil,
and suceeded to connect Internet from N810 through BT and T60.
But I can connect Internet from only comand line like as ping or nslookup.
It seems we need to make DUMMY IAP to make Maemo applications to connect Internet. Unfortunetly I don't have enough time and didn't try yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zach For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Warsaw, Poland
Using the thread pointed by Zach I managed to get BT PAN up and running between n810 and WM6-based PDA (and built-in internet sharing). Procedure for sharing connection from computer is similar, but involves setting up connection sharing on PC. It's not really newbie-friendly and in general steps goes like this in Windows XP:
1. Connect the PC to the Internet.
2. Edit the properties of the Internet card so it shares this connection with Bluetooth Networking Adapter
3. In your Bluetooth Stack on the PC turn on "Bluetooth PAN" or "Network Access" profile/service.
4. Pair your computer with n810 - write down the PC's BT MAC address - you can find it while pairing on n810 and in Bluetooth interface properties in your BT software
5. Install becomeroot package on n810
6. Write down the script from the thread pointed by Zach in a file, for example scriptname - in your home folder (/home/user/)
7. Modify the script. At least those lines need to be modified:
a. BTADDR='00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx' #put computer's BT MAC address
b. IP=192.168.2.2 #in case of most windows internet sharing setups should be 192.168.0.x (x=any number between 2 and 254)
c. GW=192.168.2.1 #192.168.0.1 in most cases
d. NS=10.6.101.1 #put your operator's DNS ip address. Sometimes 192.168.0.1 also works
e. PAN_ROLE=GN #GN neets to be changed to NAP
8. Make this script executable (chmod a+x scriptname)
9. Execute command in terminal:
gconftool-2 -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DUMMY/type DUMMY

and now let's connect:
1. Make sure the computer is connected to the Internet and Bluetooth is turned on
2. Put n810 in the online mode and connect to DUMMY
3. start the script with command ./scriptname

After a while BT icon should turn blue and yo should have internet connection working on your nokia.

Comments:
1. I copied, pasted and edited the script with command line in Xterm and used vi editor. It's really anti-userfriendly method, probably there are some easier to use text-editors, but haven't seen any so far for ITT.
2. When I say "execute command" I mean type (or paste it) in Xterm command line.
3. Not going into details on internet connection sharing in Windows XP nor Bluetooth stack configuration because it depends on the way internet is connected to the computer, Bluetooth stack (5 different out there), Windows version (and I have no idea about Vista - who use this crap anyway?), and language (I use Polish version right now and don;t have access to non-localized version at the moment).
4. You can also install the final script as an icon in the menu system (and then on some toolbar) - it's another script to copy, modify and start once - found info on this forum.

Last edited by jakubd; 2008-03-24 at 15:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakubd For This Useful Post:
I have the same issue as Kilroy. I do not have access to wifi at work and want to be able to use my n810 as a skype phone while I'm working. Not to mention streaming music as well.

Are there any updates on being able to connect to the internet using an N8xx device hooked up to a windows PC using bluetooth or USB?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jakubd View Post
1. I copied, pasted and edited the script with command line in Xterm and used vi editor. It's really anti-userfriendly method, probably there are some easier to use text-editors, but haven't seen any so far for ITT.
Thanks for the step-by-step, jakubd!

Look into leafpad, it is a great, simple little GUI text editor that works like a text editor should, including editing files from the command line just by typing "leafpad filename.txt"