Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi.

I have 2 laptops and the other one is applicable on window 7 upgrade for free... the CD just arrived today.. my other laptop is getting slow and i want to reformat it...

the questions are:
1. can i use that win7 OS that i got from my another laptop.
2. if i reformat my laptop.. can i use that win7 OS as a new OS to that laptop?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
This forum is about Maemo not Windows 7. Suggest you find a Windows forum and ask there instead.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
This forum is about Maemo not Windows 7. Suggest you find a Windows forum and ask there instead.
ok.. ill try.. i just like this community because everyone are willing to help.. and i post it on off- topic.. so i think this is fine.. =]

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
legally its probably not allowed...but yeah it is possible, the upgrade cd contains the full os and can be installed...it doesnt matter what kind of upgrade it is, all windows 7 dvds are the same. its the serial key that makes it choose what to install. u can install it without the key which is good for 30 days, then ull need to get a key...legally or illegally...ull need another serial key for full install

Originally Posted by fudorekz13 View Post
ok.. ill try.. i just like this community because everyone are willing to help.. and i post it on off- topic.. so i think this is fine.. =]
nothing wrong with the post, i think he was saying that u wud probably get more help from the windows forums than here...but feel free to post.

i have the serial key.. coz it's from the upgrade prgram of HP... my new laptop works fine.. and i dont want to upgrade or reformat it... but my old one need to be reformat.. thats why im asking if i can use that OS to my old one...

The point is you need 2 keys two run the 2 computers with the same windows OS.

The installation media isn't really important.. just the keys. If you don't have the keys for the OS then it makes it an illegal installation. The key you're "new" computer is using is the one available for an update.. you can't use the same key for both machines. The upgrade uses the same key you already have.

Technically, however, the same CD should install on both machines. I thought Upgrade discs were bastardized somehow though.. meaning that it wouldn't work for a full install. But I'm not 100% on that so I'd take what waleed says.

ETA: Also, some OEM's release discs that only work with their Hardware, if you got it from a program through HP it may refuse to install on the other laptop (unless it's also an HP laptop.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-01-15 at 04:48.

no because the serial key u have will only allow an upgrade and not a fresh install. if u want to reformat and do a fresh install u wud need the other serial key. it shud work fine if u dont enter the serial, but it will give u 30 days to enter it. u can reformat and install xp (or whatever u have) then try to use the upgrade to get it to windows 7 which might not be legal, but should work

Last edited by waleed786; 2010-01-15 at 04:49.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The point is you need 2 keys two run the 2 computers with the same windows OS.

The installation media isn't really important.. just the keys. If you don't have the keys for the OS then it makes it an illegal installation. The key you're "new" computer is using is the one available for an update.. you can't use the same key for both machines. The upgrade uses the same key you already have.

Technically, however, the same CD should install on both machines. I thought Upgrade discs were bastardized somehow though.. meaning that it wouldn't work for a full install. But I'm not 100% on that so I'd take what waleed says.

ETA: Also, some OEM's release discs that only work with their Hardware, if you got it from a program through HP it may refuse to install on the other laptop (unless it's also an HP laptop.)
yes, it's also a HP laptop..

Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
no because the serial key u have will only allow an upgrade and not a fresh install. if u want to reformat and do a fresh install u wud need the other serial key. it shud work fine if u dont enter the serial, but it will give u 30 days to enter it. u can reformat and install xp (or whatever u have) then try to use the upgrade to get it to windows 7 which might not be legal, but should work
i think that's a good idea... let me think what i am going to do..