Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
After reading many of the problems with the N900 something is becoming very clear and that is the OS of the N900 is getting damaged enough to put it into a loop situation and re-booting problems are now becoming more and more of a ongoing situation with the N900.
One of the most important part of ANY application developed for the N900 or any OS should always have a COMPLETE uninstall option that is simply either not taken into consideration not working or not implemented within the app itself.
The countless reasons now for re-flashing are becoming more and more apparent and all down to bad programming that is either NOT checked out properly with enough field testing or checked for un-installation PRIOR to being released as a credible installable application on this forum.
If an application cannot be proved to be capable of un-installation COMPLETELY leaving the os EXACTLY as it was prior to installation then it is leading to a complete re-flash situation and should never be allowed as a credible application to start with.
These are my thoughts and i would love to read other people's thoughts regarding this.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-05-16 at 07:06.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Spain (Asturias)
apt-get --purge remove package_name

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
After reading many of the problems with the N900 something is becoming very clear and that is the OS of the N900 is getting damaged enough to put it into a loop situation and re-booting problems are now becoming more and more of a ongoing situation with the N900.
One of the most important part of ANY application developed for the N900 or any OS should always have a COMPLETE uninstall option that is simply either not taken into consideration not working or not implemented within the app itself.
The countless reasons now for re-flashing are becoming more and more apparent and all down to bad programming that is either NOT checked out properly with enough field testing or checked for un-installation PRIOR to being released as a credible installable application on this forum.
If an application cannot be proved to be capable if un-installation COMPLETELY leaving the os EXACTLY as it was prior to installation then it is leading to a complete re-flash situation and should never be allowed as a credible application to start with.
These are my thoughts and i would love to read other people's thoughts regarding this.
I have never met a person that moans as much as you and i live with 3 women. lol
Seriously: dont install any more apps that have not been properly tested and you will get less problems.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Tiboric For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tiboric View Post
I have never met a person that moans as much as you and i live with 3 women. lol
Seriously: dont install any more apps that have not been properly tested and you will get less problems.
This is not a moan and for your information i dont have a single problem with my N900, this is all about everyone else's problems and is obviously very complex to just throw in unneeded comments

Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
apt-get --purge remove package_name
That is not a complete way to un-install any package as it will not fix anything written to the os as the damage is already done.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Do you think that it might be because people are installing stuff that is still, like, in development? Just a thought.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post:
There are only a few that I could think of that could 'damage' the OS, unless of course someone wrote a program to do that very thing...

Those would be things like the sixaxis driver, or bootmenu, or anything that messes with udev or init scripts.

From what I have noticed, most of those all have warnings on them saying that they could cause issues.

The worse 'damage' that I've had, is the rootfs becoming full, and not being able to easily tell out of the 50 apps I just installed, which one is hogging it all.

Fortunately that Storage app fixes that issue.

This really should only be an issue if things that are in Extras are hosing the N900. Since Testing and Devel both have warnings saying that they very well could hose it.

slaapliedje

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hellnick View Post
Do you think that it might be because people are installing stuff that is still, like, in development? Just a thought.
Absolutely and another problem because untill an app is indeed past development stages it should not be let out as an installable app on this forum as obviously there are many people who just dont realise what they are dealing with when installing an app just because it looks good or could do what they want it to do does not mean its been tested enough to be safe.

If this situation is looked at properly and implemented in the right way to actually stop people from installing dangerous untested apps (and some tested i might add!) then i am sure their will be a lot less bricked, rebooting problems occuring on this forum.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Absolutely and another problem because untill an app is indeed past development stages it should not be let out as an installable app on this forum as obviously there are many people who just dont realise what they are dealing with when installing an app just because it looks good or could do what they want it to do does not mean its been tested enough to be safe.
Maybe we should warn people about the dangers of installing applications from Extras-devel.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
op is a bug, uninstall op