Active Topics

Hi folks!

Yesterday my N800 started rebooting with OS2007 for no real reason. Seems I've just updated openssh and installed pidgin when it started. After few reboots I thought that maybe the battery life is low so I plugged it in for charging, but after I made sure the battery is full it started doing it again. I decided to reflash my N800 with OS2007 and then it stopped booting at all. Just the white screen with Nokia logo remained and it kept shutting down after 30 seconds. I read about this problem (the 27 pages thread on this forum) and it appeared that I have to update to OS2008. Ok, I reflashed with the latest version and the system booted, but it hung up after 10 seconds when desktop showed up and has been doing so ever since.
I found out that when I plug in the USB cable and connect N800 with my laptop when the tablet boots the system, the tablet doesn't hang and is able to stay like that for few hours, but when I remove the USB cable, bang it hangs up almost immediatelly.

Does anyone know what may be the problem? Can this mean that my battery is dead?

Output from /proc/bootreason is:
32wd_to

Watchdog reset - something was consuming too much CPU causing a watchdog reset, or kernel crashed

edit:
Ok I found a really really weird thing. When I launch a movie while USB is plugged in and I unplug it, the N800 doesn't hang and I can do everything I want while the movie is playing. I turn off the movie, 2 seconds and hangup... that REALLY doesn't make any sense.

Regards,
Black Dot

Last edited by blackd0t; 2008-10-06 at 15:48.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by blackd0t View Post
I found out that when I plug in the USB cable and connect N800 with my laptop when the tablet boots the system, the tablet doesn't hang and is able to stay like that for few hours, but when I remove the USB cable, bang it hangs up almost immediatelly.
Do you have virtual memory enabled? If so, try disabling it or removing the internal card (effectively disabling it). When a tablet attempts to use a card with a corrupted file system for virtual memory, crashes can be frequent and severe. Connection to a computer via USB may "fix" the problem, as the tablet will unmount the card, if possible, disabling virtual memory in the process, so the computer can access the card.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2008-06-17 at 15:50.

It also hangs up with memory cards taken out and it also hangs up with USB plugged in when I enable RD mode. I tried playing with RD flags and none of it really helped.

I edited my first post describing that the N800 runs perfectly without USB cable plugged in when I'm running a 1:30h movie in the background :|

Ok, now the OS2008 completely stopped booting like OS2007 before. Sometimes it will show the blue progress bar and hangup and sometimes it will just hang up for 30 seconds with blue on white nokia logo screen. The tablet is definately done for and I can't even return it to nokia, because I bought it off the internet auction and I'm from Europe.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
When you played the movie, was the tablet plugged in?

I still have a feeling that this could somehow be a battery problem. If the tablet wasn't plugged in when you watched the movie, there goes that theory...

Yeah I started the movie when it was plugged in and then unplugged it and while the movie was running it didn't hang up. I close the movie player, 2 seconds and hangup. Seems it happens when n800 is idle.

Hello again, I've ordered the N800 battery replacement from ebay to see if new battery solves my problem. Just to note, during these 4 months n800 didn't fix by itself :].
Can someone tell me if it can be the battery issue by reading the problem description I wrote about above or can it be some memory corruption (which is unlikely I think as I can sit on the n800 for few hours when it's plugged in to my laptop through USB, doing different things. It's just when I plug the usb out, the n800 hangs up after 2 seconds).