For the security conscious N900 users, has anyone thought of implementing SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux) on the N900, if it's even possible?

"Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) is a Linux feature that provides a mechanism for supporting access control security policies, including U.S. Department of Defense style mandatory access controls, through the use of Linux Security Modules (LSM)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
Attached Images

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think SELinux is targeted more for multi-user servers.

What exactly from SE Linux that you need?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

There is no specific part of SELinux that I need, but it seems overall to be a secure configuration... I'm not sure how practical it would be on the N900 though.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think SELinux is targeted more for multi-user servers.
Motorola has used SELinux to great effect on some of their Linux-based phones, however it is almost always used against the owner of the device.

What exactly from SE Linux that you need?
I suspect he's after some means of preventing unauthorized applications from executing, or sandboxing those that are allowed to some extent.

[QUOTE=wmarone;588794]Motorola has used SELinux to great effect on some of their Linux-based phones, however it is almost always used against the owner of the device.

Which Motorola phones was this?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It's been awhile since I reviewed it (for use in a project, a lifetime ago)... from what I remember:

- The higher granularity of access control mechanisms provided by SE Linux would be moot on a single-user mobile device.

- The extraneous logging would tax the limited N900 resource for minimal benefit. (Perhaps for data forensic, if you can recover the device.)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Motorola has used SELinux to great effect on some of their Linux-based phones, however it is almost always used against the owner of the device.
Which Motorola phones was this?
A number of the RAZR phones, notably any device loaded with MotoMAGX. If you look up the OpenEZX project you'll find out more.

I wish SELinux will be in Meego.
Who knows how many Trojan horses we already have, because DEB-packages are not signed and people (also developers) install them just by wget'ing packages and then dpkg -i'ing them blindly.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I wish SELinux will be in Meego.
Who knows how many Trojan horses we already have, because DEB-packages are not signed and people (also developers) install them just by wget'ing packages and then dpkg -i'ing them blindly.
You mean packages are not required to be signed, I sign my packages...

Anyways if meego gets stuff from the "harmattan security framework" (there was a really good talk at the 2009 summit) then there are plenty of limits that can be placed on what specific applications (and/or classes of applications) can and cannot do.

Hey, found a wiki page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_security

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
You mean packages are not required to be signed, I sign my packages...
I haven't yet found any Maemo package, which would had embedded (GPG) signature, so maybe you could point me to one?