Is there someone who would like to share some thougths on interfacing those DVB-T usb stick to the Nokia 770?

hi,

i doen't believe that 770 is fast enough. Mostly the USB-Stick will work only on fast pc's like P4.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by rachid
hi,

i doen't believe that 770 is fast enough. Mostly the USB-Stick will work only on fast pc's like P4.
You are wrong about USB Stick working only on Fast computers... USB Sticks works on every single computer that have a USB port and the OS supports it.

about DVB-T I am not sure if it would supported I dont think ARM 250MHz can be enough to decode digital signals but than again I can be wrong... I know the 770 uses a co processor for decoding media and that can probably take care of it...

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE
about DVB-T I am not sure if it would supported I dont think ARM 250MHz can be enough to decode digital signals but than again I can be wrong... I know the 770 uses a co processor for decoding media and that can probably take care of it...
The processor of N770 does not definitely have the required power to handle decoding of DVB-T stream. DVB-H could be a possibility, but I don't think there are such USB sticks out there. Altough, there aren't any companies broadcasting DVB-H either. At least not yet.

www.teemuharju.net

Thanks, Teemu.
The dvb-t bitrates range from about 5 to about 32 Mbit/s (wikipedia). Do you mean there is no sufficient processing power even for those lower bitrates?

Originally Posted by Alfabeta
Thanks, Teemu.
The dvb-t bitrates range from about 5 to about 32 Mbit/s (wikipedia). Do you mean there is no sufficient processing power even for those lower bitrates?
With Mplayer you can decode max 400x24@25fps@0.5Mbps. Definitely not enough CPU power for DVB-T decoding.

Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE
USB Sticks works on every single computer that have a USB port and the OS supports it.
so why most of them want as minimum system requirement?
And with my dell notebook PIII 800mhz (sure faster than my nokia 770) none of the USB-Stick are working

There are cell-phones out there with DVB-T tuners built-in (Nokia N?? afair), but I am sure this is done by hardware integration and not by CPU decompression. I don't think the N770 has a built-in floating point processor - recall a number of discussions in here about it actually - so the decompression of video streams this size could very well be infeasible.

//Kny

Originally Posted by faber
With Mplayer you can decode max 400x24@25fps@0.5Mbps. Definitely not enough CPU power for DVB-T decoding.
So the only way could be handing out much of the decoding work outside the Nokia 770... or waiting the Nokia 770 successor!

Originally Posted by Kny
There are cell-phones out there with DVB-T tuners built-in (Nokia N?? afair), but I am sure this is done by hardware integration and not by CPU decompression. I don't think the N770 has a built-in floating point processor - recall a number of discussions in here about it actually - so the decompression of video streams this size could very well be infeasible.

//Kny
Actually, the N770 has a DSP, (Digital Signal Proccessor) which can be thought of as an FPU (Floating Point Unit) on steriods. It is used by the built-in video and audio applications (but not AFAIK by Mplayer). (The same DSP is used as the only proccessor in some MP3 players.) Although, seeing as I seem to remember that a typical DVB-T stream is about 20MBit (2.5MB/s), it would still be a streach. Maybe do-able.