I use a Nokia N810 with a Motorola H350 bluetooth headset. Since I started doing this, whenever it paired it switched the speaker and microphone to the headset and displayed a little icon of the headset in place of the normal loudspeaker icon.

But it has stopped doing that. The device has apparently paired OK -both ends have the usual indicators that this has happened, but the audio will no longer switch over to the headset automatically. Reboots don't help.

I can't see any control panel controls that will help me. The sound settings are just about volume and ring tones and the bluetooth settings say it is an Audio/Video device with supported profiles HSP. AFAICR this is as it always was.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

Remove the FM Radio applet; it does that.

Thanks, but that isn't installed.

It stopped working at a point when I hadn't made any configuration changes at all. I stopped recording notes for lunch and when I turned it all back on again it wasn't working and hasn't worked since.

Hmmmm...

The only reasons I know are because FM Radio is as buggy as a swamp (it will flip things, in my experience, when it's not even on the desktop, but if it's not installed...), and because something is plugged into the headphone jack. I assume you'd notice if something was plugged into the headphone jack , but it's possible a hardware fault has shorted the sense lead from the headphone jack, or some such... you may be able to check it out through the /sys/ filesystem.

(A reflash, of course, is possible; if it persists after a reflash, then you know it's hardware, but that's a little drastic...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
I started having that problem with my Insignia headset. I learned that each time I had that issue, I would have to restart the headset and not the tablet. Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to khaiqha For This Useful Post:
OK, so I cured it by plugging in the headset mains charger and immediately unplugging it again. Presumably this does a reset on the headset. Hooray!

However, prompted by Benson's message, I tried plugging in the ear buds/mic. If the headset is paired, unplugging the earbuds consistently does not return audio to the built in speakers. It is getting very confused. But since the headset is working, it goes back to the headset in those circumstances.

Anyway, I'm back up and working again. Thank you both.

What is supposed to happen, as near as I can tell:
The highest priority device available from the following list is used for playback:
  1. 1/8" Analog
  2. BT HSP
  3. Built-in Speakers
(Which seems to match what you're seeing now.)

Recording is like:
  • If playback is through BT, recording is also through BT.
  • If playback is through 1/8" Analog, and a 4-pole connector (with mic) is used, recording is through the mic connection of the 1/8" jack.
  • Otherwise, recording is through the built-in mic.

Of course, some apps, including the FM Radio, can demand playback through the speakers when a cable is connected to the 1/8" jack (for use as an antenna). I am not sure what effect this has; I know the FM Radio wrecks things, so I don't use it. Mediabox, I believe, can also switch outputs, but does not mess things up. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure what it does, either. You can also wrangle support for A2DP (playback only), and I'm not sure what that does, either.