I've decided to create this thread after talking with AStorm on IRC. We probably all know that the current N8x0 hardware has got a few small but annoying glitches that nag every Maemo user. Hopefully, Quim and Peter will see this threadand relay the list of glitches to concerned parties inside Nokia, so that the upcoming tablet has them fixed.

Ok, let us start:

Touchscreen:
* A lot of touchscreens appear to be somewhat bent. It is easy to see by shining light at the display from a small angle.
* Touch debouncing needs to be improved as the touchscreen often registers multiple touches instead of a single one.
* Sensitivity at the right side of the screen is lower and the screen feels somewhat "mushier" there.
* It may be too much to ask, but can the screen surface be made harder, to protect from scratches and excessive pressure?
* The touchscreen pressure value (as reported to applications) is pretty useless at the moment, most likely due to mechanical qualities of the screen.

Hardware Buttons:
* Screen size and volume buttons do not provide enough tactile feedback in the current N810 hardware. They do not click and do not feel as "pressed".
* N810 front panel hardware buttons also do not provide tactile feedback.

Body:
* Silvery paint used on the N810 body chips off and wears out too easily. Please, consider making unpainted body of some sturdy plastic, even if it does not shine as much. Most users will appreciate a less fragile device.
* N810 metal front/back panels are easily scratched, even with a stylus. Panel texture mostly hides the scratches but you can still see them by looking at the panel surface from an angle.
* The kickstand does not have enough tension in a particular position to hold the unit up.
* The USB port is hidden behind the kickstand in the folded position.

Slider:
* Keyboard slider seems to have some slack at the right side. I first thought that it was specific to my tablet but later saw it happen with other tablets as well.

Stylus:
* Some styluses are reported scratching the screen straight out-of-the-box.

Keyboard:
* The keys are hardly distinguishable when using the thumbs to type. The height difference between the middle and the edge of a key should be bigger.
* The force needed to press a key is too high, which makes typing prone to errors (missing presses or double presses) and tedious.
* The keys get scratched by the sliding display part of the unit.

Last edited by fms; 2008-12-10 at 15:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
I would imagine that this list would be a bit late for the N900, I assume that the components would have been sourced by now.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
... seems like what you want is a 770 with a better touch screen.

I want that, too, btw. The 770 was probably the most robust tablet in the series and had the best hardware buttons. It would be so good to have something like this again. I'd pay €50,- more just for the large buttons and the sturdy plastic.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
... seems like what you want is a 770 with a better touch screen.
No, I really want a more sturdy N900 Nothing against the style, just want the manufacturer to remember that their style should not wear off after a month of use.

Originally Posted by Rassilon7 View Post
I would imagine that this list would be a bit late for the N900, I assume that the components would have been sourced by now.
I have been careful not to request the moon from the sky: a lot of these details can and should be resolved as part of the manufacturing process. Not the sturdier body of course

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Don't forget to include the defective styluses...my first one out-of-the-box scratched the screen!

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
Keyboard:
* The keys are hardly distinguishable when using the thumbs to type. The height difference between the middle and the edge of a key should be bigger.

* The force needed to press a key is too high, which makes typing prone to errors (missing presses or double presses) and tedious

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
It's a bit of a waste of time making up that list, considering Nokia has a fine tradition of Absolutely Ignoring Every Singly Customer Suggestion.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
... The 770 was probably the most robust tablet in the series and had the best hardware buttons. It would be so good to have something like this again. I'd pay €50,- more just for the large buttons and the sturdy plastic.
Yes, the buttons are too small on the N8xx, and the D-pad should be on the outside when the keyboard is closed

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
It's a bit of a waste of time making up that list, considering Nokia has a fine tradition of Absolutely Ignoring Every Singly Customer Suggestion.
Not discussing hardware design in forums doesn't mean not listen current and potential customers. In fact Nokia invests a lot listening and improving based on feedback. ITt is just one of the many channels they have to gather such feedback.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: