Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
So, here I am again with my HTC Desire HD, the one with the corrupted eMMC memory.

First of all let me tell you the symptoms. The memory was corrupted until everything became nothing and the bootloader is stuck as Read-Only. The phone can still try to go to Recovery, but then it would vibrate 7 times (meaning problem with eMMC memory) and then black screen.

Okay, so here we are, with a read-only bootloader, security on, not rooted, with factory bootloader. What I try to do, before calling the japan store to get a new eMMC chip, I want to try one more thing, to force the bootloader to boot from external SD card.

I already built my image, prepared it, cloned the internal eMMC to a 8GB class 10 SD card, but when I send the command from the PC, I get an error that I'm not allowed to do that (because Security on). So I need somehow to WRITE at least the bootloader, to gain S-OFF, so then I can send the boot command from the laptop and get this over with.

Right now I am using a GoldCard, but it get's stuck at flashing the new bootloader. So somehow, I need to get past this step, to continue... But I have no idea about how to trick the phone to continue...

Help me with some ideas please! I'm dry...

Name:  Camera360_2013_7_8_123236.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  55.0 KB

Also after a few more tries I got this... Is there maybe any way to do something to this memory. It's clearly that something is still working as long as the Bootloader, Fastboot and Recovery (partially, it enters recovery, and then fails, but at least it enters there!) are still active and running, knowing that they are running on the same eMMC chip.

Name:  Camera360_2013_7_8_012654.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  44.6 KB

More info about the device:

Name:  info.png
Views: 504
Size:  16.8 KB

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-07 at 22:56.

So you've tried the J-Tag method already?

I'd say there's probably someone who's experienced the same thing as you with the same device. Try posting on xda forum.

Someone might know a fix, even if its for a different HTC device, chances are it could work.

I never bricked a device this far, too poor so I always was careful, so I don't know anything I can share with you. Anyways, good luck.

(and don't buy HTC)

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
So you've tried the J-Tag method already?

I'd say there's probably someone who's experienced the same thing as you with the same device. Try posting on xda forum.

Someone might know a fix, even if its for a different HTC device, chances are it could work.

I never bricked a device this far, too poor so I always was careful, so I don't know anything I can share with you. Anyways, good luck.

(and don't buy HTC)
Well the problem is that on XDA forums they all have their deviced ENG S-OFF (meaning all security is offline, and you can really do whatever) and they all gets stuck when I ask them how to try to S-OFF the device directly from a read-only HBOOT.

I never bricked a device either, because (at least on Android) I was always careful to install a custom recovery, and other security methods to easily recover it whenever the ROM failed. I bought this phone in this exact state for nothing, and the guy that gave it to me told me that it got in that state because of a failed update via OTA.

I have 2 methods right now so I can try:

Methdod1: COST 0 (or close too 0). Clone the internal eMMC of a working Desire HD on a SD Card, and force inject a new custom boot.img file that will replace the current eMMC directory of boot to the SD Card. You will have to inject that image every time you want to boot your device. (Method 100% tested for working on SG1, because linux!)

Method2: COST ~70EUR. Buy a new preprogrammed chip, reball the chip to the motherboard.

P.S. Sorry I missed to answer your question. Yes I tried the J-TAG all ready, failed.

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-08 at 15:31.

I honestly think Method 1 will fail.

Despite their similarities, there's minute differences between devices.
What I recommend you do, its quite risky, is to flash a new bootloader.
If you can bypass the first sequences, you could be able to flash a custom recovery.

And from there flash a suitable bootloader, kernel, and ROM.

And you need to familiarise yourself with adb to learn S-OFF, its a pain (this is one area where Samsung and Odin win).

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I honestly think Method 1 will fail.

Despite their similarities, there's minute differences between devices.
What I recommend you do, its quite risky, is to flash a new bootloader.
If you can bypass the first sequences, you could be able to flash a custom recovery.

And from there flash a suitable bootloader, kernel, and ROM.

And you need to familiarise yourself with adb to learn S-OFF, its a pain (this is one area where Samsung and Odin win).
Well, first of all sorry I wasn't around to reply early. Now, I know that Samsung and ODIN wins here (and every other devices except HTC) because my S1 had the same eMMC problem, but no so severe (only the /cache and /data partitions were corrupt) and with ODIN and a custom recovery I fixed that phone in no time, and those partitions were moved to the SD Card.

HTC have protection even on the bootloader (I tried the AAHC method) but still, I can't flash a new bootloader. I am not a rookie in the Android development and hardware but this is just over my head (the only HTC I worked on was a Desire, and that guy just wanted a ENG S-OFF and root, and took me about 2 hours to do that, but everything on the phone was OK!).

So until now, all I need to do is to ENG S-OFF the bootloader so it would accept developer commands via FASTBOOT... All commands are ready to deploy, but I can't still do nothing to flash a new bootloder (USB method failed, SD Card method failed, J-TAG method failed) what else is to try...?