Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I know Nokia has neverf said Meego will come on bussinesphones. But at the same time it is sad when reading this on a nokiablog . And when CNET asked about Meego, no real answer about it just the old talk about nextyear?

I just start too wonder for real if nokia believe in Meego project. Thhey still lobbying most the time about how good symbian is...

To mee it looks like Meego is a hobbyproject for nokia.

It looks like the project is chacky as hell. its over a month ago the handset developers wanted to break compability from 1.1 and 1.2 cause of lack of hardfp support in gcc arm toolchhain. I would agree on this change cause better break now than break when there is products released. But again its over a month and the proposal seems still to be pending? This is infact one of the drawbacks with openess. not all is good with full openess and I begining to think that merge of mobil maemo was a mistake. I mean Intel people has no intrests in arm. and what will Intel contribute for nokia. It seems it was only cause Nokia wanted QT in moblin but as far as I know meego notebook is still Gtk+. So what has this merge given so far?? not much..

the future will give us answer... I really hope Nokia will release a N900 killer nextyear cause right now there is NO computerphone that can replace it. As I have said before N8 is a downgrade not a chance I would replace my n900 with N8.....

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-12-03 at 01:06.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Well, I don't see why they need to stick MeeGo into everything... Symbian does well with the business apps.. and Symbian is a fantastic OS, with the new Qt UI coming H1 2011 it should be even better.. MeeGo is a "high-end" OS.. so naturally it's going to be on the N-Series...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
I haven't really doubt about Nokia's commitment to MeeGo. Vanjoki, Elop and Savander have all said that MeeGo is their aim on the high end and N8 is not yet that what they want. Nokia got policy to not talk about future products and better to hype products that are actually out.

Just remember that it did take 3-4 years before Nokia announced it's first touch E series, E7 as they skipped the whole 5th edition. Microsoft office for example is being done for Symbian by Microsoft.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
It looks like the project is chacky as hell. its over a month ago the handset developers wanted to break compability from 1.1 and 1.2 cause of lack of hardfp support in gcc arm toolchhain. I would agree on this change cause better break now than break when there is products released. But again its over a month and the proposal seems still to be pending?
No, the problem wasn't the lack of support - the problem was that we had to do a ABI break in order to get significant performance benefits along with alignment to other efforts at Linaro.

And such a thing isn't taken lightly - I personally don't like we had to do a break but it's now or never.

It's no longer pending. The proposal reached the top after long discussions in various areas including ARM vendors (we've spoken to TI, ST-Ericsson, Qualcomm, Marvell, nVidia, Broadcom) and was agreed upon at the TSG meeting on Wednesday.

Yours truly actually spent a week re-porting MeeGo to ARMv7 hardfp (from a Debian hardfp base), so the technical side is ready. As well as someone else doing the actual build integration.

The kind of break we're doing, X86 wish they could do too, but can't because of all the binaries strayed around. It's about passing floating point values in fast hardware floating point registers instead of slow integer registers. The problem is that this is entirely historical, from when ARM devices didn't have a FPU, people chose the widest compatibility. For ARMv7, this is pretty guaranteed..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-12-03 at 06:56.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
To mee it looks like Meego is a hobbyproject for nokia.
hobby or multimedia/internet biased (khrm N) project?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
No, the problem wasn't the lack of support - the problem was that we had to do a ABI break in order to get significant performance benefits along with alignment to other efforts at Linaro.
Significant performance benefits ?

So that means MeeGo v1.2 will have a great performance improvement since v1.2 ?

And how is the status of the 'MeeGo hardware adaptation for N900' project ?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
MeeGo is a "high-end" OS.. so naturally it's going to be on the N-Series...
I'm not sure how you define "high-end", but in terms of cost, I believe the E90 is still the most expensive phone Nokia has ever released? The more practical reason why Meego should not be on "business" phones right now is the appalling Modest email client, which more than lives up to its name.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
What exactly is a "business" phone in the first place? For my needs a decent IMAP client would be enough, but the N900 already has MS-back-end stuff for those that need it.

Thanks for clarifying this. I guess I overreacted a little bit yesterday about the project.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post

And such a thing isn't taken lightly - I personally don't like we had to do a break but it's now or never.

It's no longer pending. The proposal reached the top after long discussions in various areas including ARM vendors (we've spoken to TI, ST-Ericsson, Qualcomm, Marvell, nVidia, Broadcom) and was agreed upon at the TSG meeting on Wednesday.

Yours truly actually spent a week re-porting MeeGo to ARMv7 hardfp (from a Debian hardfp base), so the technical side is ready. As well as someone else doing the actual build integration.

The kind of break we're doing, X86 wish they could do too, but can't because of all the binaries strayed around. It's about passing floating point values in fast hardware floating point registers instead of slow integer registers. The problem is that this is entirely historical, from when ARM devices didn't have a FPU, people chose the widest compatibility. For ARMv7, this is pretty guaranteed..

Originally Posted by lma View Post
What exactly is a "business" phone in the first place? For my needs a decent IMAP client would be enough, but the N900 already has MS-back-end stuff for those that need it.
What nokia means with Bussiness is E-Series I guess... And that means good calendar/email clients and soo on.

And in that in mine can we be sure Meego will suppoprt good calendars/email functionality and so on? "geek doesnt care about that"

I mean I love my N900 but as an highed consumer phone it has it drawbacks with an halfdone emailclient and calendar.

Ofcourse with QT they can easy port from meego to symbian and viseversa. But still If they still make symbian as mainos Nseries/ meego only for multimedaia and geeks then they miss some users.

Maybe this has todo with open vs closed apps.

WIth meego they want to be fully open that also can mean halfbacked emailclients/calendar/gpsapp because some stuf cant be open. And thats they deciude to stay with symbian because bussiness people doesnt care that much and whine about openess everywhere.

Just my ... :-)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-12-03 at 22:55.