Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I am travelling with mt 770 for the 1st time, cannot help but marvelled at how wonderful my 770 is. the maemo mapper takes me from point A to point B with a BT GPS, working without a glitch! I paired my Treo650 and dl maps as I go...and making this post while waitin for my drive-thru meals, ... I have not travel like this before. Thank you 770!
bun

edit:
Now I am back home, still overwhelmed by the 770 and maemo mapper, that I am constantly in touch with inet/map/location during the travel. I have a window CE (Dell Axim X50V), and a Treo650 for a long time, never realize how life could have been only if I paired the two together. I learned the pairing through my 770 and subsequent paired the winCE with the Treo too. Although the opera has received complaint about its browsing, the 770 is more 'capable' than the winCE in most cases. During the trip, the refreshing of the maemo mapper is many times more efficient than the google map on the wince box, I know they are 2 different things, but I just cant help but to praise the 770. I am using a NO name BT GPS, I bought from neweggs for $50, GPS SiRF Star III (GPT 801), it worked like a gem. BT catching on is fast, satellite catch takes less than split second and never lost the signal during the whole 4 hrs trip! This is quite different from what I read about other BT GPS. Anyhow, I have 3 different ways to do GPS, and here is my impression,

Treo by itself with the google map, simple to use, works, but screen is way too small to be of practical use during driving, checkin on location is alright.

Wince coupled with Treo using either googlemap or pocket MS Street 2004; google may is very sluggish, takes 3-5 seconds on refresh every page. MS street is OK, and have POI where maemo mapper is lacking.

770 coupled with GPS and maemo mapper, the best, fast efficient and the largest screen of the three. Still waiting to learn how to get a copy of the POI.

Anybody wants to say something about how they travel with their 770? Please include the brand of your GPS system and maybe where do you buy it from if possible , in case other people interested.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-09-29 at 21:41.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I just got back from 2 weeks going round the states with my 770. I didn't use it as a GPS, as I have one of those which I am happy with (well, not as good as the tomtom, but that just has UK and europe maps). However, the 770 was invaluable on the trip, connecting via wifi everywhere and looking for hotels, or places to visit. The trip wouldn't have been the same without it.

Totally agree.

I just returned from a 2 day trip from Jacksonville, Flordia. WiFi is like wide fire, it is everywhere. I went into a "upscale Japanese restaurant" (business pay, I can't afford ) there is WiFi available. And of course, Barnes and Noble, starbuck etc, several shopping malls I went into also have free WiFi avaible. Some of them required free Registration (what's the point?), and some large grocery store, Juice/coffee/cafe and of course, the Apple store.

The 770 connected without even one glitch. This is very different from say several years back, while ONLY airport or hotel has WiFi and they are not free.
I think WiFi is really part of everyday life today.

Glad to hear more about how other users think about their GPS/BT/WiFi with their 770.

Forget to mention something funny. My friend carried a back pack with a small foot print laptop. It looked prettier and very 'geek'. Because of the laptop battery, he powered down every time upon finishing. When got into a shop with WiFi, I sticked out my 770 and surfed the net in seconds. He would turned on the laptop and booted, yay right, windoz.... By the time I paid and ate, and walked out the shop, his windoz still booting.....after several attempts, he finally left the laptop in his backpack and started to ask, 'you done? may I borrow your, eh, Nokia?'

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-09-30 at 08:57.

WiFi seems everywhere in the states. In the UK it is quite uncommon to find free wifi (apart from the applestore and there aren't that many of those) although 3G is almost everywhere, so here I would use my phone for the same thing.

But as you say, the 770 works great there. Turn up, take the lid off, connect, browse the web, put the lid on and leave.

The free registration this is just so that you can agree it isn't their problem if you get a virus and can't sue them, which seems reasonable for a free connection.

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
WiFi seems everywhere in the states. In the UK it is quite uncommon to find free wifi (apart from the applestore and there aren't that many of those) although 3G is almost everywhere, so here I would use my phone for the same thing.

But as you say, the 770 works great there. Turn up, take the lid off, connect, browse the web, put the lid on and leave.

The free registration this is just so that you can agree it isn't their problem if you get a virus and can't sue them, which seems reasonable for a free connection.
Sorry to hear that WiFi has NOT been that common in UK yet. But, again, that was the situation in US couple years back, I think it just takes time. The reason I mention this is because I have an HP1910 winCE box, and there is no capablity of adding WiFi (no SDIO). It was purchased during those days WiFi was still a novelty. As it looks now, WiFi is probably goin to be part of ANY mobile platform.

Regarding registration, I have never thought about covering their legality with virus intrusion. Thanks, now I know.

bun

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i suspect that wifi have become so available in the US because of the (imo) silly state of the mobile phone coverage there.

why hope to jump from wifi to wifi when one can go 3G (or even gsm+edge in a pinch) and have coverage anywhere?

but then, its interesting to see wimax turning more and more into some kind of first gen 4G/LTE...

It would be nice to have both. More things have wifi than 3G reception (ie, non phone things).

I am NOT afraid to go to trips any more, as I am always in contact with my office, every single second! In fact, I am looking forward to trips now and planning several trips in the next 6 months. In addition to getting contact with office/inet/GPS/location/what nots, I am also enjoying my music 15 gB music collection over the inet without having physically bringing them. This makes travelling by self much less 'Lonely'. I use TVersity for music streaming and it works gorgeous. Well, I have not been able to make video streaming good enough for watching, it stutters . Thanks 770 and the sr/jr/newbies here in this forum to make the 770 so..................functional!

Talking about GPS, I guess we all use to charging our electronics every two to three days, the cellphone, PDA, 770, laptops. I notice the GPS does not need that much frequent attention. I charge it probably not more than 3 times in 2 months! I guess a GPS is like a radio, there is no moving parts use very little energy. Is that what everybody notice, or mine is particular good? My GPS use those proprietory battery like those use in a cellphone.

bun

bun

I was in Paris, France last week.

I have to say the 770 is amazing now that the Remote Desktop Client works. I have vpnc in my 770 so I can connect to our company firewall to have VPN and use RDP to my work computer. After RDP Client logs me in I can start windows virtual keyboard and use any software on my desktop

If there had been any problems at work I could have done ANYTHING through my 770 to help out (I'm an Admin).

I also got a bluetooth GPS module while in Paris and Maemo Mapper worked beautifully (Thanks, Gnuite).

My hotel was charging 8 EUR / hour for Wifi but my 770 managed to find an open network so I didn't have to use GPRS or the hotels overpriced WIFI.

I just LOVE my 770, now even more. I havn't installed 2007 HE yet but I am thinking about it.

-Tom

I took my N770 on a trip to Morelia, Mexico earlier this summer. I got it Sunday night* and I left Tuesday so I didn't have much time to learn anything about it...but did get Gizmo installed and the email app working.

The hotel we were staying had free wifi, so Gizmo alone saved me $10-$20 (AT&T international cell phone roaming is $1 or $2 a minute + long distance charges). Also I could look at emails at any time and not have to wait for the one PC to be free.

I look forward to the next trip with it. As a small-plane pilot, it can slip into my flight bag very easily and more and more airports are offering free wifi to check weather and file flight plans.

*Bought it from Woot....it actually arrived Friday afternoon when I was at work, but the UPS guy mis-delivered it across the street. The people there took it inside then left on a 3-day weekend holiday and couldn't get it to me until they came back. I thought for sure the package was stolen off the porch....