Active Topics

this is my idea:
we can boot from MMC with bootmenu utility, we have a base linux system on mmc with some easy commands.

so it's possible use xfree and one window manager like twm or any other light wm?

so we don't need to port software for maemo we can use standard linux apps.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Maybe one of the readily available mini-distros could be adapted?

There is a lot of work still to be done, though (touch screen interface, power management, remapping hardware buttons, HWR input, tweaking WiFi, BT and USB support for the 770's specific hardware, all the stuff I've forgotten).

fvwm-Crystal would be a nice environment, if it could be run on the 770's hardware.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Porting would still be required, unless the processor in your desktop is ARM based. It would reduce the amount of work in conforming to the Hildon UI, but to even get another flavour of Linux to boot... that's daunting.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by skler
this is my idea:
so it's possible use xfree and one window manager like twm or any other light wm?
Well there is kdrive x server on the device http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html , If there is something wrong ,you can get its source (apt-get source xserver-kdrive) in scratchbox and hack it.
Also there is light wm running on the device, it is called matchbox http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/
so we don't need to port software for maemo we can use standard linux apps.
You can use them even now But they simply don't look good enough and are not suitable for such small and memory limited device.

But don't get me wrong, go ahead and try something. Buth first examine how current device works and what is good to replace and why.

Also please define what 'standard linux apps' is. So far I thought linux is known to not to have any standard apps, everything is configurable and depends on user choice.

Last edited by fanoush; 2006-09-21 at 13:35.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
Maybe one of the readily available mini-distros could be adapted?

There is a lot of work still to be done, though (touch screen interface, power management, remapping hardware buttons, HWR input, tweaking WiFi, BT and USB support for the 770's specific hardware, all the stuff I've forgotten).
uhmm no we can use the default kernel that have all hw support. or use something more usefull like:

Linux Nokia770-26 + IPv6 + NFS v3 client support
bye Ville Reijonen

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Porting would still be required, unless the processor in your desktop is ARM based.
No. we can use one of the million of distro arm based.

Debian have an arm release.

http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/

...maemo use EABI

http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Right, Maemo is based on Debian... but ARM binaries aren't exactly abundant. My point was, you still need to port them, even if it's just moving from x86 to ARM.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
uhmm no we can use the default kernel that have all hw support.
There is small problem, some critical things like battery charging are not handled in kernel. These things are handled inside dsme (device state monitoring entity?) daemon which is closed source. Kernel contains only generic driver for N770 specific chips (tahvo,retu) which provides access to (undocumented) HW registers and the logic is inside dsme. So for full HW support you probably need it running which means you also need to accept other things dsme does like controling brightness and display blanking, watchdog for reboots nad maybe also some power management stuff (not sure about this). And this is further tied to dbus and gconf configuration system. So this may be not as easy as you think. There may be no good place where you could draw line and do not loose some important functionality.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
make it so # 1, I want have a real desktop and window manager. I have been enjoying my buggy 770 for almost a year now, I guess I shouldn't say that, 2005 OS was much more stable, hopefully 2006 updates will becoming soon. It would be really cool to be able to rotate the screen though.

Couldn't a new window manager be installed and chosen at login like redhat does. other options would be great!!

Originally Posted by fanoush
There is small problem, some critical things like battery charging are not handled in kernel. These things are handled inside dsme (device state monitoring entity?) daemon which is closed source. Kernel contains only generic driver for N770 specific chips (tahvo,retu) which provides access to (undocumented) HW registers and the logic is inside dsme. So for full HW support you probably need it running which means you also need to accept other things dsme does like controling brightness and display blanking, watchdog for reboots nad maybe also some power management stuff (not sure about this). And this is further tied to dbus and gconf configuration system. So this may be not as easy as you think. There may be no good place where you could draw line and do not loose some important functionality.
good post...
The problem of our device is that we must attend someone that make the port of every application. If we can install any debian arm binary we don't wait nobody. Opensource world have a software for anything!

what we need for use debian arm package?
Only normal windows manager, probably we don't need xorg/xfree Xomap is good.

The device have good hardware, the screen resolution is very large.