Active Topics

are the firmware updates for n900 sequential only or does each wrapup the previous?

In other words once I receive an N900 will I need to do each update in order or will this last one include everything?

Or should I just flash latest if multiple updates are needed?

TIA

Updates are cumulative, and your device will notify you of them after it completes its first refresh. The only exception may be the first update, which was required for later changes.

Don't let it until you've given the battery time to charge to full.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Why are you wanting to flash the firmware right when you get it? The purpose of flashing is to revert everything back to the day you bought the device. All you need to do is turn on the phone, open up app manager and click the update button. It will do everything for you.

Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
Why are you wanting to flash the firmware right when you get it? The purpose of flashing is to revert everything back to the day you bought the device. All you need to do is turn on the phone, open up app manager and click the update button. It will do everything for you.
Because if I was going to have to do three updates in order, it would have been easier to just flash the latest firmware and be done, but as was pointed out, the updates are cumulative, so the point is moot. Thanks for your concern, though

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Indeed the term "firmware update" is rather misleading, as it updates just like desktop Linux does, updating individual software and firmware packages to newer versions. Its not all that dissimillar to Windows Update.

In fact the only thing that makes it a firmware update is that they also release a flashable "wipe everything to factory settings" version of it. The over the air update and firmware update are just two completely different ways of doing the same thing, one which restores to default and the other that upgrades keeping all your settings.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

a question Does Flashing earse all memory on the n900/ including msgs pics videos etc/

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
yes and no.....

if you flash the *vanilla*.bin too all the settings pics musik and so on will be gone.....

but everytime i have reflashed my n900 i had to flash the vanilla too beacause the n900 wont start when i dont flash it....

i think my old settings (before flash) mix up with the standart settings from the rom witch i ve flashed...

i am no dev i cannot say what went wrong but want to share expirience....

sry 4 my bad english....

greetz

i got my n900 yesterday. i let it charge for a while before playing then hooked it up to my machine and searched for updates through the nokia pc suite. it updated to 2. something or other. it was about 130mb i think. took about 20-30mins and was done. no problems with it at all.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
Because if I was going to have to do three updates in order, it would have been easier to just flash the latest firmware and be done, but as was pointed out, the updates are cumulative, so the point is moot. Thanks for your concern, though
As mentioned before a LOT of people have had trouble with updating via a cable... I would recomend if you can, upgrade OTA via wireless and on a full charge as it seems to be a LOT more reliable. Ive got 2 n900;s and have had no issues updating by this method and im sure a lot of others wil back me up on this tht have updated by this method.