Poll: Would you pay for software updates
Poll Options
Would you pay for software updates

Apple charge $4.95 for the latest software update. Would you pay for N900 software updates?

Id pay if it offers dual booting w/ nxt gen Symbian =D

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by hm88 View Post
If I could get win. 7 on it =D
OMFG I hope your joking......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hm88 View Post
Id pay if it offers dual booting w/ nxt gen Symbian =D
Haha nice.

It depends on what the update involved, but since this is supposed to be open source arena I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go over well. I'd rather pay a small price for the app. Already paying a large amount for the phone/tablet should cover updates. At least paying for apps will go straight to the developer (usually) and not a large corporation that makes their money other ways than software updates.

The Following User Says Thank You to egrims For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i have 2 answers
ANSWER 1: no b/c I don't see why I should have to pay to update a device what is buggy like n900, it should be put correct free. if they was to charge to put a device in stable state then we'll end up having Companies intentionally putting out buggy devices so they can make a quick dollar on the update.

ANSWER 2: if the device was stable and practically bug-free to start with then I would not mind paying for new features in a update as long as the features make a substantial difference to the device's usability

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Apple charge $4.95 for the latest software update.
Apple also sucks, but that doesn't mean Maemo is going to join it

The Following User Says Thank You to Kieron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
The whole idea of buying the phone that uses free opensource operating system is that you get the software for free and can do with it what ever you want. And that anyone can contribute and make enhancements to the software.

The Following User Says Thank You to @SR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
No.

Not anyone can or will make contributions. Sure you can always get things for free. Then just don´t pay for the paid software.

I´m a little split on this. I´d say free upgrades for the next 2-3 product cycles (ie. N770 would get its last update with the release of N900). After that paid ones. Nokia can´t support a device forever, but should be expected to include support for it for 2-3 years initially.
Not everyone can change something in software. But at least everyone can test it and write bug reports. It's a contribution too. And debugging of a complex system is not an easy task.
There are not so many closed components in maemo on support of which we relay on Nokia. Even if Nokia stops support of old devises community can backport new software on them. And this changes then would be available to everyone. And paid support will only lead to piracy. I think it would be more profitable for Nokia to release a new devise when to provide paid support for old ones.

Not only does paying for updates blow up the maemo spirit and way of thinking, but it would also be pretty much wrong, considering the updates will be mostly bug fixes or enhancements that have already been promised to get people to buy the thing.
The latter applies to apple too, but they never bothered with right or wrong

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
So what kind of software updates are we talking about? Software fixes, like from Maemo 5 to 5.1? Or to subsidize making Maemo 6 run on Maemo 5 devices (i.e. the N900)?

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post: