Active Topics

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
Hello !

I write to you cause I have a question :
I want to test Maemo 5 and I don't found where I can download it : I found the SDK but what I want is the real system cause the SDK is really limited and buggy (no more than 16bit color depth, segfaults, no apps in it, nothing in repositories ...)

Logically , since Maemo is a kind of Linux distro we could be able to test it but I really didn't find where I may download it ...

Do you have an idea for my problem ? (I talk to Maemo's devs, who have surely a compilated version of Maemo for testing ... I'm an Ubuntu tester and I would love to test Maemo too ....)

Thanks

Wait for the hardware, as that's all it will run on (unless you just take a look at Mer, which is using the same or similar updated components and will run on various platforms, but doesn't have the Nokia differentiator stuff -> apps and spangly UI (yet)).

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Belgium
hmm.. since it's just an ARM cpu i would guess it should be possible to run it on an emulator (or to crosscompile it). you may not get emulation for all the specialized chips but it should be possible to just run the basic stuff I think.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Maemo 5 has not been published yet.
If you have issues with the SDK ("SDK is really limited and buggy") then please take a look at bugs.maemo.org and file reports if they have not been filed yet.
E.g. "nothing in repositories" is not true.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
concretely, i want to download Maemo 5 beta exactely as i've done many times with ubuntu beta, fedora alpha, debian RC .... etc.

Maemo is open-source but I don't found the sources, it's not good ...

Then I know that Maemo is made for ARM devices (but i've seen that it have a x86 build too) and the goal is to compile it (or find a compiled version) and then test it in Virtual box, on an EEE PC or a ARM-based netbook ..

Have you got any suggestion for me ?

and i've already tested Mer but it's not at all the same as Maemo 5 :
it looks more like OS2008 , but even more ugly ... (themes, fonts and icons are not consistent at all, unlike Fremantle).

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Maemo 5 is not available yet. No, there is no way for you to "test it out" and get the UI stuff. You'll have to wait for the hardware.

No need to attack Mer now.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Available choices for "using Maemo 5" on a computer: The SDK; Mer; or nothing. Take your pick.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-08-31 at 12:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
what do you mean when you say : "wait for the hardware" ?

i have to wait that the n900 is out and then i could download maemo 5 ?
or just i have to buy one to test maemo 5 ?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
When the hardware is released, the source will be released (if it hasn't been already). You'll be able to download the source and everything, but don't expect that the full official OS is going to run straight on your PC. Don't expect to use the SDK or the source to give you your own virtual N900 to test out on your computer.