Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Hi everyone,

I'm releasing Traveller, my first program that was really designed to run on the Nokia tablets. It will work on Windows, Linux, etc or anything with Python 2.5+ and Pygame installed on it but was optimized for 800x480 resolution.

Traveller isn't just another large clock program as it incorporates a few items that I use on a frequent basis. The goal was to make a 100% finger friendly program. Pictures speak better than words so I'll stop here.

My understanding of the garage.maemo.org and Linux in general is horrible so please if the deb file doesn't work for you, please let me know. Also, the program isn't finished but it at least mostly works except for the 'Settings' portion of the program. I would write up a nice instructive page on how this program works, screen shots, etc. but I'm not sure that the garage let's me really do this. I really haven't touched this program four about 4 months and have recently gotten back to it. Hopefully its something that you find interesting and can use in your day to day like I do.

First portion of the program is the "Atmosphere" section:

Second is the "Weather" section:

Third is the "Horoscope" section:

Fourth is the "Alarms" section:

The only option in "Settings" that works currently is location editor:

Special Note:
I used Tony Maro's pygame virtual keyboard for the entry on this screen so he totally gets full credit for such a wonderful program. You do not have to install it as I packaged it along with Traveller for convenience. Thanks Tony and here is the link to his garage project.

You can download Traveller from the garage here:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/traveller/

Getting the Atmosphere section to work:
If you with to use the atmosphere portion of Traveller, you will need the wave files that are a separate HUGE 40 megabyte file. You will need to downloaded and extract it to "/media/mmc2/waves" which is the internal memory for the N810 users under a directly that you will create titled "waves". I'm sorry about this inconvenience it's just that I'm not good enough to make a .deb file for these wave files and because they are so large, not everyone will want them. Dang the garage for not allowing me to have the .wav files up there individually so you could just download them and save them to the right path.

Additional Wave Files:
If you wish to create your own looping wave files simply place them in the same waves directly of /media/mmc2/waves. A good place to hear and try out new ones is here at http://www.soundsnap.com. The wave files cannot be compressed wave files as they just play a loud glitchy noise. I personally used the free download for Windows called Audacity. It will allow you to edit the wave files, convert them from compressed, convert them down to 16 bit to conserve space, etc.

Source Code:
I plan to release the source code but want to retain control of it for now. I'll release the source when version one is complete and so I apologize up front for the slow updates that I will be providing.

Known bugs (SO MANY):
- The "Settings" section is very buggy with the only area working being the "Location" edit. Do not use the others currently.
- The 2nd alarm is not setup to ring yet so it is useless at this stage.
- Since this program was made to work on Windows and other OS's I opted to not use dbus to tap into the built-in alarms of the NIT's, and use the gconf portion for settings.
- Being an all Python based program, the name of the app does not appear next to the icon when you bring up the running application menu
- Currently all settings are stored in a file called "config.xml" so be careful if you decide to edit that file as you can break the program.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
I tried to install it on my 770 with os2006, It said successful but I didn't see the icon anywhere. Any idea ? I will try it on my n800 later. The program looks quite promising. Thanks.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Yes, the program looks really good, but I have the same problem: Application Manager says it installed fine, but I don't see an icon for it anywhere either. I don't know what was done with the program.

All I did was double-click the .deb and then click "OK" and the like. If any XTerm commands were required, I didn't enter them.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Awesome app but, looking at the deb, the directory structure isn't correct.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-05-02 at 08:56. Reason: Trying to improve my grammar, I'm 16 FFS, it's embarrasing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Awesome app but, looking at the deb, the directory structure isn't correct.

Last edited by qwerty12; Today at 04:56 AM. Reason: Trying to improve my grammar, I'm 16 FFS, it's embarrasing.
Well stated, young man; you are a credit to all who pimp on the South side.

The Following User Says Thank You to dickcheney For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Not sure how much I'd actually use it... but tablet-specific programs like this are awesome, so you get thanks anyway.

However, like qwerty12 said... the directory structure is not correct. traveller.pyc should be placed in /usr/bin. EVERYTHING ELSE (all other data files) should be placed in /usr/share/traveller. You can organize /usr/share/traveller however you want. You should also have two icon sizes: 64x64 and 26x26. The 64x64 icon should go in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon and /usr/share/pixmaps The 26x26 icon should go in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon Finally, you should create a desktop file with the following (if you've followed the rest of my advice ):
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Traveller
Comment=An all-in-one travelling application
Exec=/usr/bin/traveller.pyc
Icon=traveller
X-Icon-path=/usr/share/icons
X-Window-Icon=traveller
Type=Application
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
If you need help with packaging, I feel like I'm getting better and better at it, and I'd be glad to help

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Dang. I knew my first deb would not work. I tried it on my local NIT that already had it running so I apologize for that. I did not have a test environment set up on

TruJournals, I'll most likely take you up on this offer to help after I give it another try.

I got to run for now and will try to upload a new deb at that time. Thanks everyone for your help.

Wow dude, that looks sic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
I agree this app looks very polished, if the substance is as good as the shine I think you have develped something great!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
I'm waiting eagerly for the new .deb of this, it looks like a really useful little app. My only suggestion is that from my experience having a large snooze button and small disarm button works best, purely to make it harder to turn it off and then go back to sleep. Anyway great job.

The Following User Says Thank You to RichS For This Useful Post:

Tags
atmosphere, horoscope, python, traveller, weather