Notices

I've just put a bunch of music onto my n800, then noticed that the file format of the files was mp4. The music plays in the media player, but not in Canola 2 Beta 9.
So, can canola 2 play mp4(audio) tracks?

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Dg: if the default media player plays, canola plays. What is happening is that the Scanner is not scanning mp4s, so we need to update scanner.
as we support first the most used formats, some are added only later, or when users say that is not supported yet.

Br

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

so does this mean that you're soon going to be supporting mp4 audio formats?

Yes, but we cannot promise full support (all tags + embedded cover arts + etc) but to be sscanned anplayable (if mplayer or the default media can play) we can do.

If mplayer or default media player cannot play them we will not play (as they are our media engines)

Marcelo

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB. Canada
I was using Canola prior to Diablo and all mp3 and mp4 music was scanned and playable. Since then though , I've only been able to play mp3's. This is also the case with ukmp and youamp however all files are played with mediabox and mediaplayer. ukmp is able load cover art of the mp3's it finds. Canola was loading all cover art and now finds none. Mediabox plays all files but no cover art. I have ogg support installed and have tried all sorts of things to get them to work.

I have enjoyed trying out all the programs but cant quite figure out what needs to be done . Thanks for any help or direction.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
MediaBox currently reads embedded cover art from MP3 ID3 tags. There is no tag parser for mp4 yet. The tag parser reads ID3v1, ID3v2 (up to 2.4), FLAC, and Ogg comments.

EDIT: I'm not quite sure if release 0.95 already supports reading FLAC tags. The current developer version from SVN does, though, and so will the soon-to-be-expected release 0.96.

Last edited by pycage; 2008-11-26 at 07:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply. I very much like mediabox and if I am able to load cover art in the new release I'll be more than satisfied with it as my music app. I use gpodder and mytube anyway and the expected shuffle and playlist function in the new release would be great. I haven't tried to install the SVN version as I'm not sure what to do.

It is a shame as I made very good use of canola on a cross country drive in the US and haven't been able to get it back to its previous state since the summer.

Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I was using Canola prior to Diablo and all mp3 and mp4 music was scanned and playable. Since then though , I've only been able to play mp3's. This is also the case with ukmp and youamp however all files are played with mediabox and mediaplayer. ukmp is able load cover art of the mp3's it finds. Canola was loading all cover art and now finds none. Mediabox plays all files but no cover art. I have ogg support installed and have tried all sorts of things to get them to work.

I have enjoyed trying out all the programs but cant quite figure out what needs to be done . Thanks for any help or direction.
Hi Rambler, indeed there seems to be quite a huge issues with covers in those latest releases.

What we've been doing :

- improving the scanner (it's improving) but needs more and more user files to make sure it can find everything.

- adding for beta10 the "auto" selection of all disks for scanning (with user being able to customize like it is today. This will avoid users forgetting to mark the folders to scan.

- Improving the canola-tuning-plugin to search better the covers and of course faster. I think today it is getting too much covers sometimes and has a too high timeout. This leads to huge times for downloading new covers.

What makes me wonder is what happened, because in the tests everything was fine and we were getting covers naturally, and suddenly a lot of users started noticing the problem and giving us feedback.

We will try to focus a lot on scanner / media issues in beta10, and the development has started full speed. The team is actually gathered right now deciding how to solve this and the other open issues.

I hope we will be back on the first beta's speed quite soon

thanks for the feedback!

Marcelo

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the response. You guys have done some wonderful work and I really have enjoyed the app. For the most part it has worked great and is certainly THE APP to show off the tablet to others. I do a lot of playing around on my tablet; trying apps and things that I probably shouldnt but with developers like you guys and the help available here I have been able to learn a lot.

Good news about my last try at Canola 9. My last run at a media update was able to find my mp4s following yet another reboot. Youtube and last plugins are working as well. I still cant get any cover art but will wait and retry things. I do have an occasional problem with update running whem I open Canola and it just continues to run. If I close it and re-open it all is fine.

Thanks again.

Hi Rambler,

We are investigating if the amazon api has changed (as well the last.fm one)
Do you have any local covers (.jpg files on the same folder as the album?)

Br

Marcelo