Active Topics

newsbot | Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
 Johan Billen has announced that the porting of minisip for Maemo has started. He is currently asking help from fellow developers to check if minisip is properly working on the Nokia 770.[br /] Minisip is a SIP User Agent ("Internet telephone&quot developed by Master students at the Royal Institute of Technology, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden.More screenshots after the jump. ...
Read the full article.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
That isn't a screenshot of minisip on pocketpc, but minisip running on Familiar Linux on a iPAQ h5550. See http://familiar.handhelds.org for more details

The article has been corrected. Thanks koen.

Well, I tried installing it to the device using Application Installer and it failed stating the installer is corrupt. I sent Johan an e-mail to let him know. Maybe he will have somehting else to try.

Has there been any news on this lately? Did anyone ever get this up and running on a 770? I am just learning about SIP, but it appears that you can use it to access the PSTN like "SkypeOut" (unlike Google Talk, which only supports IP to IP).

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by TechnoDoc
Has there been any news on this lately? Did anyone ever get this up and running on a 770? I am just learning about SIP, but it appears that you can use it to access the PSTN like "SkypeOut" (unlike Google Talk, which only supports IP to IP).
Yep, most SIP providers have also PSTN connectivity services. It has been announced that the new 2006 OS will support also SIP in addition to Google Talk. So you won't need minisip for that then anymore.

www.teemuharju.net

Originally Posted by teemu
So you won't need minisip for that then anymore.
True, we won't need it, but IMHO the open-source community developed software offering often jives more with what the community wants. It'll be great to have a choice anyway, right
Apparently there is going to be a faimiliar release soon, so maybe there will be a maemo release around the same time since they are similar platforms:
http://www.handhelds.org/hypermail/f...ent/30933.html