Active Topics

HI all (again),

Using OpenSSH.

I've recently started trying to sort out using my n900 as more than a basic phone again, and have tried to re-enable SSH access. This was working in the past with no issues, but now the server won't start.

From the terminal I get the error "sshd respawning too fast, stopped".

I did have the status toggle applet installed and that gave similar messages. I have uninstalled that and reinstalled OpenSSH Server, but with no changes.

I cannot say what has been changed since the server last worked, but if anyone knows where I need to look to start debugging, I'll be very grateful.

I am also having an issue with gnupg (see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...31#post1420831 ) which may, or may not be related.

Last edited by skanky; 2014-04-13 at 07:20.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
login as root and type "sshd -D" and report what you see on the screen.

It could be that your event.d script is broken (you could post it here, take it from /etc/event.d/sshd)

Just in case, post also the contents of /etc/default/ssh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply.

Requested info:

Code:
# sshd -D
sshd re-exec requires execution with an absolute path
Not online able to post with my n900 at the moment (reset password on site - I'll get that sorted after I've posted this reply), so /etc/event.d/sshd will be coming shortly.

/etc/default/ssh has the following two lines that aren't comments:

Code:
SSHD_OPTS=

SSHD_OOM_ADJUST=-17
Thanks.

Event file attached.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt eventsshd.txt (272 Bytes, 62 views)

Okay, this is now working. Not sure what changed to fix it but many thanks for your help.

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
I was wrong. It never works with the status widet. It will work when done manually, but only once. If it gets stopped I then get the same respawn error on restart - I think. No real time for testing and it requires a reboot to get working again (at the moment).

I'll try and get some more testing done during the week.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
I was wrong. It never works with the status widet. It will work when done manually, but only once. If it gets stopped I then get the same respawn error on restart - I think. No real time for testing and it requires a reboot to get working again (at the moment).

I'll try and get some more testing done during the week.
I would just dome the status widget and run sshd on startup (your event.d script does that). Leave sshd running. There is no point in stopping it (won't save your battery), and you never know when you'll actually need to ssh to your lost N900 (assuming it's connected with an IP you know..)

In short: running sshd always can only be an advantage..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:

Tags
ssh server