Active Topics

hi folks. this is completely new to me. i've downloaded the maemo SDK vm image. got it running and updated nicely.

i've downloaded the VICE sources from the maemo repositories.

1. how do i import this into ESBox?
2. how do i compile this from command line? using scratchbox? i fired scratchbox up and ran ./configure and make. there were some errors in make.

help!

tried make again and the errors are now gone.

what's the step-by-step procedure anyway? and after running make, do i get a deb and where is the output file? or do i get a binary? and again, if it is a binary - where is the file?

help? ?? ?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Not sure what "ESBox" is. If you're talking about "Scratchbox", no you don't HAVE to compile in it. If you can set up an armer-targetting compilation toolchain with all the right dependencies, more power to you. I tried that, and got raped by things far outside my level of tech savvy.

So scratchbox, set up in debian with the Nokia provided auto-installed, is probably the most convenient way to start compiling.

make sometimes gives errors which can be ignored. Sometimes not. It depends on a lot of stuff.

make is just a convenient way to compile a package, instead of running more manual compilation stuff. Basically, think of it as a macro including compilation and other stuff. Programs by default install their binaries/man-pages/etc to some directory. Most of the time either ./configure or make let you pass a command like --prefix=[path], where [path] is wherever you want to put the directories/files/binaries.

In order to find the binary if you didn't use a non-default prefix, is to logically search all the places where it could go: /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin, etc, etc.There's also this magical command called "find" in Linux. "which" can also help you find commands whose binaries or symlinks are in your $path, and command tab-auto-completion plus logic plus guesswork is good at figuring out what the command actually should be called. (Keep in mind scratchbox has to be targetting ARMEL - if it's set to target x86, or whatever, it will compile the wrong architecture and you won't be able to run it on the N900 itself.)

You can't make a .deb file without either A: manually building them using tar + gz + ar, which I assure you is ridiculous, and/or using specific tools for it, such as "dpkg-buildpackage". dpkg-buildpackage by default produces its output .deb and source files in the directory about the one you're building.

In the future, help yourself - nothing I just said couldn't be found with a couple of minutes of google searching for each question.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by droll View Post
help? ?? ?
Dude, I admire your efforts.

But what you're doing is saying "I've bought a car, I'm sitting at the wheel, now can someone give me a step-by-step procedure to take me through how to compete in professional racing"

I've had a play with the SDK, and from memory there's options to import source code with a .make file etc. Then again from the menu's there's options to build....

http://wiki.maemo.org/Categoryevelopment

thanks folks. i did google around and found a lot of information. too much information actually.

i used find but couldn't locate the binary. yes, i am familiar with $path, tab auto completion etc. scratchbox is already configured to ARMREL.

deb file - i'm not at that stage yet. i just want a binary that i can run on the emulator or at least the real device - the n900 itself.

as for esbox, that's the default IDE i see in the maemo sdk VM image. it's basically Eclipse.

all my development experience has been on the Windows platform, UIQ / symbian, and Windows Mobile devices. i've had zero experience on Linux / Maemo (ok, scripts and python don't count and i'm still learning those).

finally figured out how to work this out. managed to compile vice.

i don't see how i can import this into eclipse though - still trying to figure it out.

folks i'm now having a different issue. i have setup ESBox and i've installed the qt plugins and features for it as per http://qt.nokia.com/developer/eclipse-integration/ (i downloaded the Linux (x86 32 bit) version)

but i'm not seeing the Qt plugin appear in esbox under window->preferences on the left hand side just like http://blog.synyx.de/wp-content/uplo...qtCreator1.png

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
uhhh well qt creator and esbox are two different development tools
esbox builds in scratchbox, the virtual linux machine
qt creator does it under windows (unless you install the linux or mac version) or supports remote complie (never tried that though)
anyways, download this if you want to have more support and newer tools:
http://qt.nokia.com/downloads (qt sdk 1.1.2)
don't install or create projects anywhere with a long path name, it can't handle spaces in the path.
esbox is really old (over a year since last update i think) so is basically discontinued and if you run into problems, hardly anyone will help

oh, and for the eclipse problem, i think you need to use an older version if the nokia stuff isn't working. since they don't update that stuff, the instructions are ****ed too. when they say 3.3.2 or newer, probably its broken again at 3.4 :P

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-06-22 at 17:32.