Active Topics

I just did "ls -al" in X Terminal and noticed that the last character in every line was missing. E.g. what should read ".thumbnails" with "bnails" in a new line is shown as "thubnails", with "bnails in a new line (as should be, but instead of the "m" as the last character in the first line, there is a blank character.

I then did "ls" and then "ls -al" again, and now all the characters are there! No, I am not insane, I scrolled back and checked and the last characters were indeed missing.

Any possible explanations?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Maybe check or change your font. If that does nothing I'd be inclined to purge osso-xterm and then reinstall it.

Hope that helps : )

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Can happen sometimes, it might be a newline issue.
Closing and reopening xterm should fix it, if it happens again trying typing 'reset'.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Ok, thanks guys. I've been trying to reproduce the behavior but so far no "luck".

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Ok, thanks guys. I've been trying to reproduce the behavior but so far no "luck".
It can happen when you have a really long command and then line wraps around itself.

Ok, it happens every time I start X Terminal, but only with the first command; the second command results in the correct return. Changing the font size from the default 16 to 24 seems to "solve" the issue.