Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I totally agree, although to be honest if a web site has a feed - RSS or whatever - then it's app just becomes a consumer of that feed and represents the information in an (arguably) easier to access format in which case maintaining that feed shouldn't add much complexity or overhead, certainly it should not for a site like the BBC.

Whether we think apps (that replace web sites) have a place on Nokia devices or not is a moot point - Nokia needs them if it's going to avoid becoming the next Palm Inc.
Say hello to Ovi App Wizard. If that's what people want, that's what they will get.

This, though, brings us to another point - see how Apple for example makes it's flaws into features - by making users WANT their way/approach, no matter how flawed it is. I'm no marketing dude, but I can see that this wasn't a natural progression, it was shaped consciously - and that lesson must be learned - shaping user mentality/needs is today sadly at least as important as meeting them through features/apps.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think most benefits from apps can be gained by using html5 (batched downloads, offline caching, more elaborate content/formatting, possibility of tighter control, etc...)
I believe that to be a fallacy in this context as HTML5 will solve none of the fundamental problems. For example iPhone people often say HTML5 but they mean 'iPad/iPhone version'. While it will make a few things easier, the basic problem, the client-independent content distribution remains the same, you would still have to have a 'desktop HTML5 site', an 'iPhone HTML5 site', a 'MeeGo HTML5 site', etc.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I believe that to be a fallacy in this context as HTML5 will solve none of the fundamental problems. For example iPhone people often say HTML5 but they mean 'iPad/iPhone version'. While it will make a few things easier, the basic problem, the client-independent content distribution remains the same, you would still have to have a 'desktop HTML5 site', an 'iPhone HTML5 site', a 'MeeGo HTML5 site', etc.
I don't understand the part about 'meego html5 site'. Why would it need to be compartmentalized by platform?

As for different form factors, I think there are real merits for that.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I don't have an iphone, so have always wondered about thee kind of 'apps', so without seeming too thick, can someone explain?

the iphone has a browser, and most sites have mobile versions, or are more and more being designed with these in mind (a case of point being the recent disasterous relaunch of the bbc news site itself). So what exactly does an 'app' do in these cases?

if I'm reading it right, they replace flash content with something that an apple product can use?

if this is so, why can't we (900/810/800) users access these sites/streams/whatever that the 'app' is accessing?

hopefully this isn't too obvious and someone will respond in the spirit of the question!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
BBC News app

Basically just a grid of pictures, scroll each section left and right for more pictures/articles, up and down for more sections. You can also watch streaming BBC News Channel live, which apparently works OK over WiFi.

So hardly an Earth shattering new experience but perhaps a nice way to consume news on a small screen device. Could easily be done for the N900 too, assuming the will was there (which it probably isn't).

Although to me the launch of this application isn't so much about the experience it provides, but the fact that once again an organisation such as the BBC are getting behind and supporting the competition while completely ignoring Nokia.

In the UK, the BBC are huge and their web site (for news and sport in particular) is massively popular, and this application (effectively an endorsement of the iDevice platform, and to a lesser extent Android with promises of support later in the year) will be welcomed by many, and Nokia owners must be left wondering "What about me?". Sh1t out of luck, as usual.

I don't understand the part about 'meego html5 site'. Why would it need to be compartmentalized by platform?
Because there is no guarantee that an iPhone-oriented HTML5 site will render equally well on MeeGo (note that under MeeGo I don't necessarily mean just handhelds). Add to this the dance around Flash, WebM/H264 and it's Internet Explorer all over again.

As for different form factors, I think there are real merits for that.
Certainly, but it's a step back. It has been a long and arduous fight (and not even completely over) to get the web to be resolution/aspect/DPI independent. Instead of truly addressing the problem of new form factors, we are simply discarding what has been learned with the web and going back to square 1, brute forcing the problem with specialized versions - a path that cannot be pushed on the long term.

Originally Posted by flareup View Post
the iphone has a browser, and most sites have mobile versions, or are more and more being designed with these in mind (a case of point being the recent disasterous relaunch of the bbc news site itself). So what exactly does an 'app' do in these cases?
I'm no expert on this, but I think they do it for 2 things...

1. Control:
- Access just for end users and not aggregators
- Better potential to monetize (targeted ads, subscription models, etc)

2. Usability:
- Optimized batch download + offline access(useful if you're in areas with spotty connection or for airplane ries, makes it quicker to go through a bunch of articles too)
- Optimized UI\UX (easier content consumption, less fighting with navigation schemes)

Obviously these apps come in different quality. So there are good and bad apps. The BBC app is pretty meh.

The better apps make it quicker to go through the headlines, find and read thru the articles you're interested in and to save/share them.

if this is so, why can't we (900/810/800) users access these sites/streams/whatever that the 'app' is accessing?
Personally, I think most of those sites will slowly abandon their bite sized proprietary apps and move to html5 implementation once the mobile browsers support it.

Because there is no guarantee that an iPhone-oriented HTML5 site will render equally well on MeeGo (note that under MeeGo I don't necessarily mean just handhelds). Add to this the dance around Flash, WebM/H264 and it's Internet Explorer all over again.
If that's the case, then it's definitely a step back. I don't know why you'd make that assumptions though.

Certainly, but it's a step back. It has been a long and arduous fight (and not even completely over) to get the web to be resolution/aspect/DPI independent. Instead of truly addressing the problem of new form factors, we are simply discarding what has been learned with the web and going back to square 1, brute forcing the problem with specialized versions - a path that cannot be pushed on the long term.
Those are two separate issues.

Force feeding desktop websites (without modifications for handheld friendliness) for sub 4" screen consumption is an ergonomic abhorrence.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Last edited by ysss; 2010-07-23 at 17:06.

If that's the case, then it's definitely a step back. I don't know why you'd make that assumptions though.
Experience ? I already see this on current web applications - on more serious (i.e. not just a list of pictures/articles) people tend to pixel-push. And since the resolutions don't match, and the HTML5 compliance levels/compatibility of various browsers are bound to be different especially in the early stages of adoption, no way is it going to look okay.

Force feeding desktop websites (without modifications for handheld friendliness) for sub 4" screen consumption is an ergonomic abhorrence.
Certainly. BUT. What's preventing website authors doing it NOW ? You can already serve up completely different/adjusted sites with current technologies, and yet, people don't do that, it's more important to fit in the paradigm of the host OS than to adhere to standards - which (while not apparent at first) *wrong* - imagine for example that in Windows you would have to doubleclick URLs to open them or that the site's CSS would get completely overridden by the OS' theme. It's a step back because you bring in OS/app dependency the web fought so hard to get rid of.

Experience ? I already see this on current web applications - on more serious (i.e. not just a list of pictures/articles) people tend to pixel-push. And since the resolutions don't match, and the HTML5 compliance levels/compatibility of various browsers are bound to be different especially in the early stages of adoption, no way is it going to look okay.
I thought this is less of an issue with better GPU and prevalence of more flexible (and zoom friendly) mobile rendering engines?
There's even a huge dpi change between iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.

Certainly. BUT. What's preventing website authors doing it NOW ? You can already serve up completely different/adjusted sites with current technologies, and yet, people don't do that, it's more important to fit in the paradigm of the host OS than to adhere to standards - which (while not apparent at first) *wrong* - imagine for example that in Windows you would have to doubleclick URLs to open them or that the site's CSS would get completely overridden by the OS' theme. It's a step back because you bring in OS/app dependency the web fought so hard to get rid of.
I haven't been following mobile websites. I hate them for the most part and I change the useragent on my browsers to force full version (even on my iPhone) unless I'm roaming to a small country without favorable partnership with my mobile provider and charges an arm and a leg for cell data.

I think I would use them if they offer ("the promised") html5 mobile version though.

Either way, HTML5 needs to settle down so organizations can begin making websites complaint with it.

I work a little bit with it myself (not hired to do it but trying to future proof an internal web survey). Trying to integrate HTML5 accessibility, imagine my surprise when JAWs didn't read aloud ARIA Labels because IE7 doesn't support it.

>.<

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
BBC News iPhone app video demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5AuPO-901M

Coming soon for Android and BlackBerry, but any OS from Nokia considered irrelevant it seems.

Hard to disagree given how badly Nokia promote, market and support their various platforms these days - no doubt that may change with the launch of the N8, but will organisations like the BBC change their attitude unless Nokia become more pro-active about big name apps and go that extra mile to get them onto their platforms?

The BBC aren't stupid, for them to ignore Nokia completely (now and in the future) does suggest there's something rotten somewhere that needs to be addressed.