Active Topics

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Hope someone can please advise...

Got GCC/G++ running on my N900....

Now, I found that I need libncurses5-dev besides libncurses5 in order to compile an app that I want to use [Task, taskwarrior.org].

When I try to install libncurses5-dev, I get dependency error message that it needs libncurses5, but it lists the name of the specific libncurses5 version that I already installed and says that version won't work...

If I try to uninstall libncurses5 version that I already installed, I get message that a whole long list of other apps will be removed as well, 65MB worth...

So, wondered if someone can please tell me how to go about getting libncurses-dev installed without too much difficulty?

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Why do this kind of things on the N900?

Thats what the SDK is for.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by giannoug View Post

Because you can? No need to move the binary and you can test it immediately. No need for scratchbox or other "tools".

I've installed the root strap on my N900 just to have a functioning compiler at all times.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
I would also suggest you use the SDK, or your next best bet would be a chroot with the development tools running, so you don't botch the dependencies on your device.

You can also simply grab the binary package, modify the control file to satisfy the dependencies (by adjusting versions etc...) and then install it. I don't recommend this, nobody recommends this and you shouldn't do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by giannoug View Post

Because I'm just trying to get a very small simple terminal CLI app compiled...have done this on other similar devices in the past...but if it's better not to in this case, I'll do it on a PC......

Nokia N900

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Because you can? No need to move the binary and you can test it immediately. No need for scratchbox or other "tools".
Amen, Joorin.....

I've installed the root strap on my N900 just to have a functioning compiler at all times.
Not sure what the root strap is but sounds good....

Nokia N900

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
I would also suggest you use the SDK, or your next best bet would be a chroot with the development tools running, so you don't botch the dependencies on your device.
OK....so, by chroot, do you mean using EasyDebian for example?

You can also simply grab the binary package, modify the control file to satisfy the dependencies (by adjusting versions etc...) and then install it. I don't recommend this, nobody recommends this and you shouldn't do it.
OK, got it.....already borked my N900 once, messin' with it, so, I understand what can happen...thank goodness for reflashing....

Nokia N900

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
There was another recent topic about this... use a chroot for on-device development.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
There was another recent topic about this... use a chroot for on-device development.
So, like using EasyDebian or ?

Also, if EasyDebian will app compiled there work directly in maemo too or would it need to be cross-compiled for maemo?

Nokia N900