Poll: Is Qt evil?
Poll Options
Is Qt evil?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Czech Republic
Hi, firstly i havenīt many skills with qt development. I donīt understand one thing. Qt is very easy to use and It has a high level of compatibility. In my opinion it means tons of code and slack. Am I right?

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Your choice. Write the tons of code and slack yourself or use what someone else wrote. I prefer the second option.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Yeah, its evil. Thats why is so gooooood

no, wait. you make a serious question, let me read.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Shouldn't there be a poll in this thread!
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Qt means rapid application dev for people with skills in several languages but perhaps not so much skill in GUI programming.

It means multiple platform compatibility with little or no effort

It is not evil.

On a personal note - I deal with enough aggravation in my day to day code, its kind of nice to have agro free time when dealing with Qt.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

@Figa: We are at difficult times. I Think that if you look around to almost every modern development environment, we can see a bunch of very bloated frameworks.

.net framework, java, python.

there is no easy way to compare two frameworks side-by-side.

you know, YMMV.

Last edited by clasificado; 2010-04-28 at 13:32.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
"This is very easy to use, I'm being productive and it is widely used so there must be something wrong with it. It has to be bloated and evil so I better start writing my own "lightweight and elegant" alternative, but at least it's not bloated until it becomes actually useful."

Sorry, couldn't help trolling a bit.

Because writing your own graphics, gui, rendering, animation, networking et al library yourself to get a basic app working is the definition of insanity.

This topic just reminds me of the (old) incredible fun game: "Serious Sam: the first encounter"!