Active Topics

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Oh dear xenu.

Yes i know that usr,share,sbin are fast to type and probably are what they are because of legacy but damn. Iīm constantly in xterm and more and more i think that maybe I should install locate for just finding bits and pieces of program files, configuration files etc. Yes most importantly conf,ini etc are in home but you know what i mean.

What kind of twisted mind categories things like this. My bookshelves are categories by year, author, name etc.. My data collections are categorized in folders/filenames. Would i ever put for example recipes in order where I rip all the recipes and re categories them by ingredients from single recipes. There would be 10 sheets of saying how many eggs and i had to find other corresponding sheets form other categories and combine them.

My brain hurts. Now please if you have any good advices how to understand or just ignore this thing please tell me. Letīs just say one thing. I will not tolerate any kind of "yes it should be there but it might be also". Going directory and finding it empty or just surfing in xterm is just making me mad.

End of rant. Sorry. Yes now i feel better

Last edited by slender; 2010-04-08 at 16:44.

Well there is a reason why the folders are name as such, bin contains exectables, usr contains user apps (I think), /dev is memory mapped devices etc. etc.

This make updating/reinstalling real easy for me in Linux becuase I have all my config files under /home mount on another disk and just update the OS - so if my OS becomes bust I don't care cos my files are safe.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Probably getting to know what they were derived from could help a little...

bin - binaries
sbin - system binaries
dev - devices
lib - libraries
mnt - mount points
home - home directory for all users
root - home directory for root user
etc - configuration files for host system
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

love the linux hierarchy, but definitely not a big fan of the default MyDocs folder. that is ******ed IMO

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by slender View Post
My brain hurts. Now please if you have any good advices how to understand or just ignore this thing please tell me.
as ysss and gwj already pointed out, there's a good reason for the filesystem structure. it takes time getting used to (as every new thing does), but once you know your way around, you'll know your way around any linux/*nix system. well, a little at least

for finding files, may i suggest:
Code:
find / | grep myfile
this will search the whole filesystem for a file or directory containing the string "myfile". you can also search a specific directory by
Code:
find /home/user | grep myfile
if you know the exact name of the file,
Code:
find / -name myfile.ext
will find it faster.

if you want to know where a package stores it's files, use
Code:
dpkg -L package
to search for a specific installed package, use
Code:
dpkg -l | grep package
to search for available (but not yet installed packages) use
Code:
apt-cache search package

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Thank you very much for these good advices. Some of them i already know. But but...jees. For me itīs really important that on some level things work and are categorized as they are in my brain or in my physical world. I know that i should adapt myself and learn to think different, but sometimes itīs just frustrating.

Last edited by slender; 2010-04-08 at 16:45.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
hmm that's the reason why i like spotlight on my Mac. but the idea of having just one (or two, if you count the /media directory) where the user should fiddle around with... is useful.

i started with a C64 (without directories) moved to DOS (and windows), to linux/BSD and now i work with Mac.... so i'm used to all of these concepts and think that the Mac approach is the best of all worlds.
the idea of absolutely not caring where you place your files, combined with the ability to have your own structure.
that is perfect, but you need the right tools for that and the N900 doesn't have them.