Notices

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by james174 View Post
But im kinda in the mindset of, "If the functions cant be used properly, then why include them at all?"
Starting point for community developers.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
and something else, I have seen not much N900 advertisements, but except nokias website, everywhere else, the phone is shown in portrait with the call screen and that distinctive red button in the middle. That is marketing as phone.
Now we have two choices: either deem the marketing is wrong or we say the marketing is right but nokia should have backed it up with a little bit more polished software towards the phone function.
In the first case we have less people jump on the train, less revenue from Nokia (and probably more expensive device), smaller community, less testers and less whiners
In the second case we have the increased noise but less people would feel let down by the advertisements.
And let's face it, not everyone knows, has the time or the will to do exhaustive research for a phone.
________
AVANDIA LAWSUIT INFO

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:32.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's difficult to defend many of Nokia's decisions wrt this product family... but many enthusiasts choose to focus on what the device(s) do for them, and move on (some even go so far as to learn development and solve shortcomings themselves). Granted that's not going to be as true for rank-and-file customers.

It's a bit late in the day for Nokia to start working on a new application suite for the n900 now, but better late than never I guess...

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
IMO the Ovi services are quite feeble to be honest, the only functionality I miss is being able to sync my calendar to the Ovi site.

Now I use SyncEvolution and Mobical. So...

I mean wth do we need the Ovi store for? The repos are 110 times better and now we even have the map loader. I think its all we really need and Nokia knows it.

That said, I think it's really a breaking of a policy to leave a device out of the brand-making software suite/ecosystem/mess.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Hello to all,

just one little question im really wondering abou at the moment.
What the hell you want to use the OVI Suite for?
Dont get me wrong, but which pplication you want to use from NOKIA OVI Suite?

Software Updater, works stand alone, Synchronisation works with NOKIA PC Suite without any problms (WINDOWS PC at least)
Backuping I do directly within the device.
Accessing Files using Mass Memory faster and easier than any suite.

So for me no point to use the crappy OVI Suite, which is buggy and only works half. (I use a lot of device so I know what im talking about)

And also the point that the Messages are not savable, just see the style of the messages, different then everything saw before, so this is probably a issue for saving there i agree.

BR

Wolfpac

Originally Posted by wolfpac72 View Post
just one little question im really wondering abou at the moment.
What the hell you want to use the OVI Suite for?
Dont get me wrong, but which pplication you want to use from NOKIA OVI Suite?
Wolfpac
Im not saying I want the Ovi suite and only the Ovi Suite to be used, but I personally want the messaging application to be working. Whether its Nokia PC Suite or Ovi Suite, I dont care, I just want it working.
If you read in my last sentance the message I wrote to Nokia on page 1, you will find that I am asking them when the Nokia PC Suite OR Ovi Suite becomes fully functional to use with the N900.

Now I read somewhere that Nokia are doing away with PC Suite altogether and that was why they are pushing Ovi to be compatable with everything, hence why I pushed the complaint to Nokia. So now that I've been told by Nokia, that they are working on a specific application for the N900, im not phased in the slightest anymore that Ovi wont be compatable, as I got my answer.

It's frustrating to many, to have basic functions not working on either 2 of the only PC Suites that are available (that im aware of) for the N900. I've read so many posts with people jumping up and down about a new PR update screaming "I HOPE THIS PR UPDATE WORKS WITH OVI SUITE"

Now we all know whats happening, I hope its gonna save a little stress on alot of peoples lives that are almost dying of anticipation to find out the answer

The Following User Says Thank You to james174 For This Useful Post:
Im afraid that the messaging Functionality will never work within any Suite, due the complexity of the system used within N900. As its the only device using this it will not be implemented.
As I said in the previous post, I totally agree that is the only feature really missing IMO.

So probably there never will be any possibility.
for me its fine, due I do not use SMS as a archive functionalty, for that I do have Mail

Wolfpac

Originally Posted by wolfpac72 View Post
Im afraid that the messaging Functionality will never work within any Suite, due the complexity of the system used within N900. As its the only device using this it will not be implemented.
As I said in the previous post, I totally agree that is the only feature really missing IMO.
Wolfpac
So are you saying that this wont work at all even with the "specific application" Nokia are developing either?

Originally Posted by james174 View Post
So are you saying that this wont work at all even with the "specific application" Nokia are developing either?
I just doubt it, when i see the differences between the platforms.
But we can also keep hoping

Tags
n900, no ovi for n900, ovi