Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hi,

I´m rebooting my device almost daily basis to avoid slowdown of UI.

After reading bugzilla and threads here I think that currently small group of testers do not have enough time to debug all these problems. Bugzilla comments from Nokia/bug team where they advise to install / read this: http://wiki.maemo.org/Bugs:Stock_answers#Memory_issues
Is utterly jibberish to most of users. Even asking to install some tools from cli is just too much to ask. We have top, free, cat /proc/meminfo, ps and probably other very useful tools that are very informative in hands of experienced users.

We have situation where there is HUGE amount of testers but tools to spot memory issues need IMHO quite a much experience. Also installable program amount is just going up and probably different setups just makes things even more difficult. I have googled about linux memory usage and just looked around different articles and all of them are beyond my skills and just reading those make me feel utterly stupid :| I do not understand them at all. Too many little things that leave open questions that lead to 10 new questions. I have feeling that I´m not alone

We need program that logs memory usage for e.g. 10 most memory hunger processes and after certain treshold it starts to send warning messages about low memory (do not start to explain different types of memory) to user. Top or htop give me huge list of different processes and some of them to me seem duplicate of each other. It makes non sense to me :| I just understand that when system starts to use more and more swap memory then you are probably in trouble and things slow down.

OR we need simple and stupid guide how to spot memory issue without going too detail. This means that there will be certainly be some assumptions that are probably wrong but we really need way to spot these issues more efficiently.

I feel bit sad about this because it's quite clear that Nokia want's us to test their OS but tools that right now we have require IMHO too much of expertize. Another request would be powertop like program to human beings

What I want? I´m not completely sure but i hope that there is at least some conversation about this problem that probably could be handled bit more easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post: