Active Topics

My friend is currently on T-Mobile sim only 1 month rolling contract thing
He wants to get the N900 £30/month with T-Mobile from MPD

I'm not sure what the process here is since the transfer is going to be on the same network??
He wants to keep the old number so calling up T-Mobile to ask for PAC code to transfer number to..T-Mobile??

He's scared to call because:
1. He sounds stupid asking that question
2. They might convinced him to stay when asking to transfer number by doing the usual, offer better deal by lowering his current monthly payment

Last edited by Venomrush; 2010-02-25 at 12:21.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thing is he cannot ask for a PAC code as he is not leaving a network. Since T-Mobile do not offer this phone direct, the only way he can do it is get a pay as you go sim on another network, request a PAC from T-Mobile, stop being a wimp and just get the code from T-Mobile (I have never heard anyone being scared of doing this, he is the customer not a prisoner). Then supply that PAC to the network provider of the pay as you go sim card, get the number transferred across. As soon as the transfer goes across he can then get a PAC number from the new network to transfer the number back to T-Mobile.

It is long winded, it is a pain, it is sadly the only way to do things. There is a thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1427855 about it.

Just found out that MPD does not allow you to transfer old number over to N900 T-Mobile contract..

That's rubbish, any UK mobile operator MUST accept a PAC request to port a number across by law. That legislation was passed about 4 years ago.

Keep the 1 month contract
15/month, 350 minutes, 300 texts, unlimited internet
£350 phone second hand (can find them "as new" for this)
Total cost of ownership 2 years: £710
LEAVE AT ANY TIME

Get a 24 month contract
30/month, 900 minutes, 3000 texts, NO INTERNET
£0 phone new
Total cost of ownership 2 years: £720
Locked in for 2 years

If you really talk that much, and wanna tie in for 2 years then go for it. Adding unlimited internet to your 24 month contract will cost another 120 for the 2 years

Originally Posted by LaptopU View Post
That's rubbish, any UK mobile operator MUST accept a PAC request to port a number across by law. That legislation was passed about 4 years ago.
Not when it's in their terms and conditions that you're not allow to port the number over
For them, you accepted the terms so screw the legislation as you've signed the contract

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
My friend is currently on T-Mobile sim only 1 month rolling contract thing
He wants to get the N900 £30/month with T-Mobile from MPD
not sure if there's any difference in the uk, but here in austria, you would just "upgrade" your prepaid card to a normal contract, no new number or anything.

even if it's not so easy, they have to offer the option of keeping his old number. that's not only a uk- but a eu-wide regulation afaik.

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
not sure if there's any difference in the uk, but here in austria, you would just "upgrade" your prepaid card to a normal contract, no new number or anything.

even if it's not so easy, they have to offer the option of keeping his old number. that's not only a uk- but a eu-wide regulation afaik.
We can do it too in the UK subject to credit check.
The sim-only is a 30 days rolling contract..not a prepaid, you just don't get a phone with that and it works out a better deal than with a free phone

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Not when it's in their terms and conditions that you're not allow to port the number over
For them, you accepted the terms so screw the legislation as you've signed the contract
A company's terms and conditions, even if you signed up to them, cannot break the law. You are being fobbed off. Some companies will try to tell you anything, imagine if a company had it in their clause they reserve the right to push you off a cliff and then when you're in intensive care them telling you you've signed a contract.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi...num_port_info/ is the legal info you need. SubCore is right about it being an EU wide regulation, the only thing is porting applies across networks not within networks which is why you have to transfer the number off a network on one contract in order to transfer it back onto the network on another contract.

I have not seen any MPD or T-Mobile terms and conditions that prevent you doing this.

Edit - In fact I remember when ordering my handset from MPD they ask you during sign-up if you have a PAC, which throws out the window what you say - are you sure you are not confusing it with something else?