Active Topics

So PR 1.2 is coming with QT 4.6. However what does this mean for applications that use previous versions of QT? Will they be broken once QT 4.6 arrives in PR 1.2? Or can they still run using QT 4.6?

Edit: Figured it out myself.

In PR 1.2, Qt will also be installed in /usr, not in its current /opt/qt4-maemo5 ghetto. This means that all Qt 4.6 applications should be rebuild once PR 1.2 comes out (which is a good idea anyway).
A note on Qt 4.5 compatibility

The 4.5 version of Qt that is currently available for Maemo 5 is a community port that is not supported by us. All the core Qt APIs are of course source and binary compatible also on Maemo 5. However, the community extensions done to Qt 4.5 are not, so minor changes might be in order.
http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010...mo-5-released/

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-02-20 at 04:14.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
The world will never know, not until it is tested and released

some of the videos i saw about qt4.6 it made rthe device turn between portrait and landscape manually not auto rotation so we can consider that in pr 1.2 we will still be without portrait mode and maybe we can still not be able to use USSD feature proparly its kinda all questions that cant be answered i think bcz nokia dont say anything to us !

This isn't a thread about PR 1.2. This is a thread about QT 4.6 and app compatibility with programs that were developed using previous versions of QT.

I'm more curious if the developers will have to recompile the app using QT 4.6 or if existing QT 4.X apps can transition to 4.6 smoothly.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

i know but its kinda somehow related to it since qt4.6 will be on PR1.2 right... but i got ur point of view mate

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
So PR 1.2 is coming with QT 4.6. However what does this mean for applications that use previous versions of QT? Will they be broken once QT 4.6 arrives in PR 1.2? Or can they still run using QT 4.6?
Don't know specifically about qt but on UN*X OSes the way such issues are typically adressed when & if libs arent't backward compatible is by provisioning both the new and old version of the libs in question, so apps can reference old versions specifically if they need to.

Try this (on your N900's terminal):

Code:
ls -l /usr/lib/libQtCore*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jan 15 06:53 /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4 -> libQtCore.so.4.5.3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Jan 15 06:53 /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4.5 -> libQtCore.so.4.5.3
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      2841060 Dec  1 20:43 /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4.5.3
You'll see a bunch of soft-links that allow apps that reference specific versions of the library (either as 4, 4.5 or 4.5.3) to access it; the links suggest that the current provisioned version is backward compatible with the older ones - note: as a UK owner, I'm still left behind without PR1.1.1 so YMMV if you have a newer f/w.

Should 4.6 present any major backward incompatibility (the fact that we're already up to 4.5.3 suggests it's not a huge leap), Nokia could still leave this filesystem structure as is, whilst also delivering 4.6 as a separate set of libs for those apps that specifically require it.

Note that much of the above is a bit of an educated guess but my take is that we needn't worry too much on that one... I'm more concerned about actually getting the update