Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I don't know about T-mobile, but I had problem connecting to my 3G mobile internet. Tried adjusting the settings and restarting (remove battery and sim) as advised by service provider technician, but still could not get it to work. They tweaked their settings at their end also.

I swap my blackberry sim to my N900 and managed to get connected. So i figured could be the sim card related and requested for a new sim card. Now both the mobile internet and fMMS works!

Does anybody have a problem with 3G versus 3.5G?
It seems like whenever I'm on 3G, it won't download or surf the net, but as soon as it goes 3.5, it rockets through, until it goes back to 3G, then a stand still again...?
Their 3G coverage isn't great here, so I'm in and out of 3.5G, if anything 3G at all... on 2.5 it will surf, just really slowly, but it seems not to do anything at all on 3G.

Does anyone how to just stay connected to 3.5 or 3G only with Tmobile?
There are certain parts of town (2 different job sites) that I am in daily where it seems that my N900 just keeps switching between 3G and 3.5 and nothing gets done. Missing phone calls and internet surfing doesn't happen (or very very slowly if it does).

I end up switching to GSM only and if there's no 2G or 2.5 then I'm screwed.

THoughts?
Thanks.

Last edited by heykennedy; 2010-12-02 at 18:11. Reason: adding that this is Tmobile

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Seatle, WA
Originally Posted by heykennedy View Post
Does anyone how to just stay connected to 3.5 or 3G only with Tmobile?
There are certain parts of town (2 different job sites) that I am in daily where it seems that my N900 just keeps switching between 3G and 3.5 and nothing gets done. Missing phone calls and internet surfing doesn't happen (or very very slowly if it does).

I end up switching to GSM only and if there's no 2G or 2.5 then I'm screwed.

THoughts?
Thanks.
try 2g/3g switch applet and enable only 3g. you can do the same from the phone settings too.

hope you are not using autodisconnect or some other software which disconnects from 3g to preserve battery.

Originally Posted by thebrainhart View Post
Does anybody have a problem with 3G versus 3.5G?
It seems like whenever I'm on 3G, it won't download or surf the net, but as soon as it goes 3.5, it rockets through, until it goes back to 3G, then a stand still again...?
Their 3G coverage isn't great here, so I'm in and out of 3.5G, if anything 3G at all... on 2.5 it will surf, just really slowly, but it seems not to do anything at all on 3G.
Yup, this is how it works.

Try calling TMo, tell them you are trying to get your n900 up and running with 3G data, they will get it working for you
They told me that since they don't carry the N900, its not their responsibility. I fixed it myself 10 minutes after I hung up.

I can't say for sure, it but seems that what the indicator is really saying is that the data connection is set up like a PVC and then sits there. Then, when you actually have to send data, it brings up the real connection (like dlal-on-demand PPP) and the indicator changes to "3.5G" when that happens. When the connection is dropped, it changes back to "3G" again. Flipping back and forth may be bad comm or it may just be an heavily loaded cell--there's only so much capacity available to everyone in the cell, you know.

The situation is much better with HSPA+, but we missed the boat on that one...

Originally Posted by mehulrajput View Post
try 2g/3g switch applet and enable only 3g. you can do the same from the phone settings too.

hope you are not using autodisconnect or some other software which disconnects from 3g to preserve battery.
I'm still having this issue. It's not 2g to 3g difference that interrupts the connection. It's the alternating back and forth between 3G and 3.5. Data slows to a crawl or completely stops and phone calls cannot go thru....I can just sit there and watch the status menu say 3G, then 3.5, then 3G, then 3.5. Wtf? I say. and then is says 3.5 again.

Is it probably because the towers are competing from the n900 perspective ???