In my work place has a Wifi, which uses WEP, but doesn't have a WEP key. I need to log in to a company domain then input my user name and password.

I tried with N900, looks like it keep asking WEP key. Anyone can connect to company network?

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I guess I don't quite understand why they would be running WEP without a password, as that is sort of the point. However, I would think that the N900 could take a blank password as a password. In that event you should be able to get to the company domain.

I am set up at four WPA2 sites, and after I enter the passkey one time (and tell the N900 to save the key) then there is no issue in ever connecting to those sites again. In fact, it is quite seamless and wonderful.

I can't speak directly to why you are not able to connect at your site... are you certain that there is not a key?... can you connect in the exact same fashion with a laptop, for instance, as you are trying to with the N900? That would certainly be the first thing to validate.

Not to hi-jack your post, and not wanting to create another thread with the same name, but has anyone else had an issue where the wifi STOPS working and must be disconnected and reconneted to work

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Minneapolis, MN USA
Originally Posted by truelies1 View Post
In my work place has a Wifi, which uses WEP, but doesn't have a WEP key. I need to log in to a company domain then input my user name and password.

I tried with N900, looks like it keep asking WEP key. Anyone can connect to company network?
I thought WEP needed a password EXACTLY of a certain length (typically 10 chars). I do not think you can have a zero length WEP password.

Originally Posted by AnimalMind View Post
Not to hi-jack your post, and not wanting to create another thread with the same name, but has anyone else had an issue where the wifi STOPS working and must be disconnected and reconneted to work
Are you certain that you must disconnect and reconnect? My wifi freezes from time to time. If I wait, it eventually runs again and I am still logged in over ssh.

Originally Posted by AnimalMind View Post
Are you certain that you must disconnect and reconnect? My wifi freezes from time to time. If I wait, it eventually runs again and I am still logged in over ssh.

The company are using cisco's LEAP connection, which only require username and password. No WEP key.

Cisco LEAP (Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol), also known as Cisco-Wireless EAP, provides username/password-based authentication between a wireless client and a RADIUS server like Cisco ACS or Interlink AAA. LEAP is one of several protocols used with the IEEE 802.1X standard for LAN port access control. In the 802.1X framework, a LAN station cannot pass traffic through an Ethernet hub or WLAN access point until it successfully authenticates itself. The station must identify itself and prove that it is an authorized user before it is actually allowed to use the LAN.

I had problems connecting to my one router running WEP. I noticed that the 900 didn't have a setting for selecting 64-bit vs. 128bit, and wonder if that was causing the issue. My other router is running WPA and it connected with no issues. It was stable even after turning down radio power and moving from 3rd floor in my townhouse, where router is, to my basement.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ the Netherlands
@truelies 1

You have the same problem as a lot of student have at there university, your company uses dynamic wep. the N900 can't connect to a dynamic wep network a this moment. See the folowing links,
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1635
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417

these are partly about the same topic.